CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Jumbo sized jumping spider

Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 AM   #1
Rich Z
Jumbo sized jumping spider

Was moving around some plastic sawhorses next to the garage when I spotted this good sized spider nestled between them. Looks like some sort of jumping spider but much larger than I normally see. I'm guessing it would cover an inch and a quarter handily.

Been a couple of chilly nights, so I guess it felt snug and comfortable there.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Dragonling
She looks a lot like Phidippus sp., but if so I suspect you may be overestimating the size a little. There have been P. regius-otiosus hybrids recorded that have a similar body structure and those same white patches on the sides of the cephalothorax. No idea how large those could get.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
Twolunger
That one looks like p. audax, and while they usually top out at just shy of an inch, people have told me they found larger ones here in Florida. They look cute from 3 feet away.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Dragonling
I have only heard of them being larger out west, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just any warmer climate. I have what I believe is P. audax in a little tote upstairs, and he is a shrimpy 1/2 inch at best lol.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
Twolunger
I have not seen any large ones around my house, but I have at least a hundred anoles, geckos, and skinks running around. Any small insect better hide or be camouflaged well.
Look at the picture and you can see a nice little face sticking its tongue out. LOL

Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
Rich Z
Heck, I'm not really renown for being 100 percent accurate with guesstimating dimensions and measurements, but holding up a yardstick I would have to say that this certainly SEEMED pretty close to 1.25 inches, + or -, from stem to stern. But I don't think he would hold still if I were to try to lay that yardstick against him to be certain. I probably would have screamed like a little girl had he leaped towards my face while I was taking pictures.

I will have to say that this is the largest jumping spider, by an order of magnitude, that I have ever seen around here. I was honestly shocked to see it so close to my fingers when I lifted that sawhorse off of his hiding place. I normally really like the little jumping spiders around here and will take special pains to keep them from harm when they are around my feet or near a door jamb. This one seemed perfectly capable of taking care of itself, please and thank you.

But anyway, anyone who would want to grab him for an accurate measurement is welcome to come here to do that. I'll just watch.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
Blizzcorn
Hahs

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 AM   #8
SnakeCreations
Oh man... glad I don't run into those.

-Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google