CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

First reptile of the year!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
Alli_Draggy
First reptile of the year!

[IMG]\https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12705531_10207542911645240_3790233749745389781_n.j pg?oh=7d03e749a199204fb514eaebb2d8b099&oe=57541BB5[/IMG]

Surprised all of us-we were actually looking for insects. I'm guessing the warm weekend brought the little guy out of the hibernaculum a bit early-and that he'll be heading right back in, since it's supposed to be below freezing by Wednesday night...

Old 02-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Alli_Draggy

will this one work??

Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
Alli_Draggy
[IMG]\https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbscTfMUEAADFyY.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
I actually saw my first corn snake of the year about a week ago when we were clearing out some brush and wood from a friends property. All of the sudden he screamed and took off running. I walked over to see what it was. He said it was a 5 foot long rattlesnake and I reached down and picked it up, it was about a 4 foot long Corn Snake. It was cold so he didn't move around much. I didn't have a camera with me so I didn't get any pictures, but this is the earliest in the year I have ever caught a snake that I can remember.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
Nanci
Wow- he's way up the tree! Funny...

Old 02-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Alli_Draggy
It wasn't a big tree, and they definitely climb . This one was on the sluggish side. I hope he made it back to a good spot before it got chillier again.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
nicolefowler2005
I wish I lived in a place that you could find reptiles and cornsnakes like that!! All we have up here are salamanders and garter snakes lol

Nicole

Old 02-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
Morwen_Isilme
Salamanders and garter snakes where I am too :P I would love to live in a place where you could step outside and find corn snakes!

Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
mrobinson12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
I wish I lived in a place that you could find reptiles and cornsnakes like that!! All we have up here are salamanders and garter snakes lol

Nicole

Yep that is all we have here also. I live in Maryland so every so often I may come across a corn but usually just black snakes lol. We vacationed in Fl last year and seen some bigger lizards it was so cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
Spurticus
My first encounter of the year so far. I apologize for the poor quality, but I was driving
around an area I usually take to try and spot some snakes, and I didn't have my camera
with me, so I snapped a quick one with my cell phone. When I first saw it from the window
I thought it was a Water Moccasin. It was in an area where I've seen several Cottonmouths
in the past two / three years. I stopped and snapped the picture and then checked it to
see if was alive and it was. I realized when I got close enough to him, it was a Banded
Water Snake and not a Moccasin. I got the hook out of the truck to get him out of the road
and placed him on the grassy bank of this marshy area where this strip of road is located,
and the sucker crawled back to the center of the road. I got him on the hook again and
placed him back a little further on the bank, and low and behold, this guy crawled back
into the road again. I was determined I was going to keep this one from getting run over
today, so the third time, I just launched him into the middle of the marsh. He was probably
back in the road sunning shortly after I drove off, but all you can do is give 'em a chance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google