CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Female Cloaca Open Permanent

Old 06-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
D10S
Female Cloaca Open Permanent

Hi everyone,

My female classic corn snake Lucy is a little over 2 years old and has been in perfect health so far. Today while handling her, I noticed her cloaca was not completely covered and there was a fleshy part exposed (pictures attached, I am not applying any pressure). She seems to respond when that area is touched, so I'm worried she might injure herself slithering around with it exposed.

Does this seem like a serious issue from the pictures posted? I only have one other male snow corn snake, so I'm not really experienced with these things. I hope someone with more expertise can offer me advice. Thanks for reading and for your time!

Old 06-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
It's a little hard to tell what I'm looking at in the photos. Is the white part fleshy? Does her cloaca scale appear to be folded under?

Old 06-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
For now at the very least, you may want to switch her substrate to paper towels so there's nothing rough for it to rub against.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
D10S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
It's a little hard to tell what I'm looking at in the photos. Is the white part fleshy? Does her cloaca scale appear to be folded under?
I apologize for the pic quality. I tried retaking them but this is the best I can do with my phone while trying to keep her still ��

Yeah, the white part marked with the arrow is fleshy and definitely looks like it should be completely covered up. It’s a little hard to tell, but it does look like the two scales on top of the vent are tucked underneath (have you come across a similar situation before?). I tried gently massaging the base of the vent on either side to see if it would help but no luck.

I’ve gone ahead and moved her out of her tank and into her previous tub with paper towels for now. She seems to be moving around and acting fine, but when I run my fingers underneath her belly and reach the vent, there’s a definite slight reaction, so I suspect something is out of order. Is it possible that a shed or going to the bathroom might fix this? Thank you for your help!

Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
hypnoctopus
I did one time have a snake get a piece of aspen stuck in his hemipene. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129814

This same snake also one other time got a folded over cloaca scale. I have no idea how it happened, but if I recall correctly, it went back to normal after the next shed.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:07 AM   #6
SnakeCreations
Quote:
I did one time have a snake get a piece of aspen stuck in his hemipene. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129814

This same snake also one other time got a folded over cloaca scale. I have no idea how it happened, but if I recall correctly, it went back to normal after the next shed.
Great thread, I highly recommend the above recommendations!

-Tonya

Old 06-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #7
D10S
Quote:

That looked quite nasty! Glad he recovered completely. Lucy shed last week, so it'll probably be a month or so till she sheds again. I hope that fixes the issue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google