• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DIY Help

ArchCarlos

Hey everyone, simple question really. If I were to take a large rock from outside, what do I have to do to make it safe for my reptile friend? Or is it a bad idea?

U should bake it and then freeze it overnight to kill all of the bacteria. Sorry not sure what temp or how long to bake it but I'm sure someone here does.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I have a lot of rocks taken from my landscape. Make sure they are fairly smooth, no sharp or jagged edges.

Boil them in a large pot of water with a capful of bleach for about 20 minutes, then bake them at 250° for another 20 minutes. Let them cool and add them to the viv. Rocks and driftwood make for great free decor.

I have never frozen mine before, if you have room in the freezer it isn't a bad idea, but I never have extra room and have found that just boiling with the bleach water and baking works well.

I have a lot of rocks taken from my landscape. Make sure they are fairly smooth, no sharp or jagged edges.

Boil them in a large pot of water with a capful of bleach for about 20 minutes, then bake them at 250° for another 20 minutes. Let them cool and add them to the viv. Rocks and driftwood make for great free decor.

I have never frozen mine before, if you have room in the freezer it isn't a bad idea, but I never have extra room and have found that just boiling with the bleach water and baking works well.

Thanks for the tip!

My goodness... I had no idea it took so much work to clean off a rock :p
Personally I would just wash it really well. But if you can go through the boiling and freezing states as mentioned then definitely do that. Don't listen to me ;)
As long as it's smooth you should be fine. Many a hide are made of stone, after all. I mean, "wild rocks" shouldn't be a problem the same way sticks would, for example. At least, that is my understanding. But I yet to bring things in from the outdoors.

Best of luck! :)

My goodness... I had no idea it took so much work to clean off a rock :p
Personally I would just wash it really well. But if you can go through the boiling and freezing states as mentioned then definitely do that. Don't listen to me ;)
As long as it's smooth you should be fine. Many a hide are made of stone, after all. I mean, "wild rocks" shouldn't be a problem the same way sticks would, for example. At least, that is my understanding. But I yet to bring things in from the outdoors.

Best of luck! :)

LOL "wild rocks"! I just know that there are a lot of bacteria and pesticides (we have a pest control service spray monthly) and other "creepy crawlies" outdoors that could be bad for the snake, so I definitely always err on the side of caution.

I recently got some rocks, shells, pieces of driftwood and other decorations from someone, I really scrubbed them well outside with a hose, but after I boiled them I was amazed at the debris left behind in the pot.

I also boil plastic aquarium plants, I am by no means a germaphobe but better safe than sorry since they are made of plastic and have been shipped from the other side of the world.

I have heard of freezing, but like I said, between the icecream and frozen rodents, I have no room left in there! :)

And yes, ArchCarlos, the freezer attached to your fridge in the kitchen is fine.

Back