CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Carnivorous plants....

Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #41
Rich Z
Well, the smaller fly traps are proving to be completely adequate as disposal areas for ticks we find crawling on our legs after walking around the property. Bout time there is now some beneficial purpose for those blood sucking pests. Now if I could just get these insectivorous plants to leap up into the air to snatch mosquitoes......

Old 05-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #42
Rich Z
Looks like Mr. Toad figures that those flytraps and sundews need a little help catching bugs....

Old 05-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #43
Rich Z
Most of the flytraps are putting out flowers now. Hopefully I'll get some seeds to try my hand at growing them up.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #44
Rich Z
Been trying my hand at growing some sundews from seeds I bought off of Ebay. Looks like my Drosera regia is starting to sprout!

Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #45
ZiggysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Looks like Mr. Toad figures that those flytraps and sundews need a little help catching bugs....

Maybe he is just hoping the plants do the heavy lifting of attracting the insects, while he just sits back and eats.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:05 AM   #46
Rich Z
Actually I think that toad is intent on making a permanent residence there. He's STILL hanging out in the tub. Doesn't even bat an eye with Connie and I walking all around him. Hopefully he is making himself useful and snagging some of those darn yellow flies that are biting the hell out of us.

Some of the flytraps are opening back up, but I may just leave them be instead of feeding them to see if the yellow flies are attracted to them. Maybe I need to put an octenol block from the mosquito magnets in there to help bring the yellow flies in.

Waiting for the seeds to develop so I can try my hand propagating flytraps from seed. I should have quite a bunch of them the way things are looking.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #47
Rich Z
Venus Fly Trap seeds!!!

I've got seeds!

Looks like I lost some during the rain that came through before I got home from being out of town, but at least they dropped into the bog tubs. So they aren't really lost, just that I was unable to collect them. I propped some of the flower/seed stalks up with some bamboo stakes that were leaning outside of the tubs, so good thing I did that. Otherwise those seeds would have been lost in the grass around the bog tubs.

I collected the rest and there are still a lot more to come. Looks like one of my smaller fly traps is putting out a late flower stalk, so I should have more, I guess, later on. Do they flower more than once a season?

The plants seem to have fared well through this stage, as they were all putting out new traps the entire time they were flowering and setting seed. Plus I was catching small grasshoppers out of Connie's garden to feed them, so I guess that helped. Sure wish they would catch yellow flies! They would have had bulging bellies this year.

Now I just have to set up some of the seeds to try to grow them and see how that goes. Should be pretty neat to see little tiny venus fly traps growing up if I'm successful getting them to sprout.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #48
Rich Z
The seeds from my venus flytraps are beginning to sprout!

Looks like some of my sundews (burmani) are coming along too. Still small as all get out, but at least they are alive.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #49
fyrefocks
That is awesome! Currently my D. dielsiana, D. spathulata, and D. binata dichotoma are all working on flowers. I'll try to get pictures when they fully open.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #50
Rich Z
I don't think my sundews and venus fly traps like being in the same tubs together. The vfts are doing a LOT better than the sundews are, so maybe the sundews like the soil wetter than I have it. But to be perfectly honest, if I have to choose one over the other, I would rather have the vfts anyway. They are so darned exotic looking. And I get a kick out of finding small grasshoppers and caterpillars in Connie's garden and feeding them to the traps.

Speaking of which, another vft has put out flowers and looks like it might be setting seed. Not sure what I'll do with all the little vfts, though. I got a BUNCH of seeds that are now beginning to sprout.

I have a few sundews potted separately and sitting in shallow water dishes, but I have do dump the water about every other day to get rid of the mosquito larvae that I find there. This would be a real pain in the butt if I had a BUNCH of those pots to have to deal with. Heck, I'm retired! I don't want a hobby that will be a lot of work!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google