CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

New motor for my vette...

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #41
tsst
I imagine after all that you will closely scrutinize the new motor as well. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #42
Rich Z
Figured I might as well move this thread into my own personal forum.

Anyway, just to show you how insane I went with all the problems with that Warhawk engine, and waiting for the new one to be built, I went and brought the front and rear support cradles home and polished the darn things. They are made out of aluminum for weight, so it wasn't all that tough. Just tedious as all hell.. Can't say I'd ever want to do this again, but who knows what depths my insanity has reached?

REAR CRADLE:

FRONT CRADLE:

Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #43
Rich Z
And, my new motor came in this past Friday, so I drove out to Blountstown to take a bunch of pics of it, looking for flaws. Luckily, I can't find ANY even closely scrutinizing the pics...

Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #44
Rich Z
Second group of pics....

Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #45
Porro
I'll bet you can't wait to get the damn thing on the road lol

Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #46
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porro View Post
I'll bet you can't wait to get the damn thing on the road lol
Yeah man.... It's been in the shop for over 6 months now. I was looking at my key ring a while back to take off some keys I didn't need to be toting around when Connie and I went on a trip, and I was staring at this one key wondering what the heck it was for. Well it was for my vette. I hadn't used it in so long that I just forgot for a moment what it was for.

Well the guy at the shop says he hopes to have the initial startup of the engine while in the car by this time next week. Got my fingers crossed, for sure...

Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #47
Butch
Definitely a piece of art, if you find anything wrong with it be sure to send it down to me, it would be a huge upgrade over my LS1 swap I have planned for my truck

Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #48
Memphios
Update, Rich!? Pweeeease!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #49
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphios View Post
Update, Rich!? Pweeeease!
Why? Do you just want to hear me scream or something?

It's now been 8 months since I first put my car in the shop. Every week for the past few weeks I have thought that THIS is the week it will be started up for the first time. But nope.

The new headers came in and got damaged in transit.

The valve covers need to have bungs (whoever came up with that name?) welded into them for the catch cans. The guy who took them in to do the work went off on a fishing tournament.

The guy working on my car opened the box with the new starter in it and the solenoid was damaged. Apparently NO ONE around here has a replacement.

The guy we ordered the new throttle body from told me last Tuesday that we would have it by Thursday. Just got the tracking number today and it is due to be delivered tomorrow, having shipped on Friday.

Honestly if the guy wasn't so far off the beaten track with his shop, I would be REAL close to telling him to just roll it outside and put a FOR SALE sign on it with BEST OFFER.

So yeah, it's supposed to be finished to the point of first start up THIS week.... But am I holding my breath?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #50
Rich Z
Unbelievable as it may seem, my car is STILL in the shop.

From the last message to this one, I had to reject that original Warhawk engine because I found a crack in one of the heads around a valve guide and just decided (with all the other problems) that I didn't want this turkey in my car. So this latest engine is based on the RHS block and some other brand of heads (which look a LOT nicer) that I can't remember off hand. Of course, this all took substantial time to iron out.

Anyway, here's the latest video I took last week (Thursday - 07/29) of the "coming to life" of the engine. This is the second time it was started, but Wednesday the few times we tried it would rev up to around 3800 rpm before shutting it down. Come to find out that the throttle body is allowing way too much air through it at idle. So the guy working on it put on another throttle body that seemed to be indexed correctly and that fixed that particular problem You can hear at the end that the engine running away stopped when the other throttle body was put onto the intake. And you can see that the A/F ratio needs to be tweaked from the unburned gasoline coming out of the tailpipes..

We also found an oil leak that is coming from the camshaft position sensor. Short explanation is that the sensor had to be relocated from the rear or the block to the front, and then on top of that, RHS raised the camshaft higher off of the crank, so this was pretty much a custom job (yet again). Apparently LME welded a bung onto the timing chain cover, and for some dang reason the bung is too big for the sensor itself. Consequently the O-ring seal doesn't fit tight enough and oil is leaking around it. Still working on a solution to this right at the moment, but to say I am aggravated at yet another roadblock is a vast understatement. It's now been nine (9) months that my car has been in the shop!

Anyway, here's a video of that session starting the new engine up...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google