CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Mites Treatment

Old 03-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
TrpnBils
Mites Treatment

This isn't really a question.... I'm posting this solution that I got from Dave by way of KatieL awhile back. Somebody needed to know how to get rid of mites, so I figured maybe somebody else could benefit from this being posted. Thanks to the original author!

============
Snake Mites
Mites are ectoparasites that subsist on blood. They are host-specific, which means that they only feed on one type of animal. Snake mites will not affect lizards, nor will they affect humans or other household pets like cats and dogs.

Mites can be identified as tiny black dots, much like a speck of dirt. However, unlike dirt, mites MOVE and will burst with a small red smear when squished against a hard surface (the remnants of their last meal). Mites can often be spotted crawling around a snake’s back or head area and on cage walls. For every mite you can see on your snake, there are likely dozens more that aren’t visible, that are hidden while feeding under your snake’s scales. These resilient parasites are commonly known as the “plague of snake keepers”. Really, with sound treatment and quarantine practices, this shouldn’t be the case.

Snake mites have been known to transfer disease in snakes, much like mosquitoes can with humans (malaria) and with dogs (heartworm). If unchecked, mites on just one snake in one terrarium can multiply geometrically and establish themselves in an entire collection of several terrariums and dozens of snakes in a matter of a week or two. This is a problem that is unique to snakes in captivity. Wild snakes are able to keep these parasites in check through shedding their skin and leaving most mites behind. On the other hand, captive snakes are forced in close quarters with their shed skin and mites, thereby facilitation reinfestation.

Mites will eventually overrun a snake in captivity to the point that their host becomes irritated, mildly anemic and therefore lethargic. Infested snakes are often found to soak for extended periods in water in a vain effort to drown the mites on its body, only to be reinfested once it emerges. Snakes in this situation will seldom eat, or even refuse to eat altogether, due to stress and discomfort.

Why Nix?
Nix was designed to treat human head lice and their nits (eggs). The one characteristic that separates the Nix method for treating snake mites from other mite remedies is its effectiveness at killing live mites AND mite eggs. All other mite remedies to my knowledge do not destroy mite eggs. As such, I have found the Nix method to be extremely effective at eradicating serious mite infestations. I even know of a pet store manager who sells several commercially produced mite remedies, yet uses the Nix method on imported snakes arriving at his store. Another pro to using Nix is economics. Around $12 will produce 4 litres of solution – much more than the largest private collection will ever require.

There exists a popular reptile care site on the Internet that discusses the toxicity of Nix, but in the two cases cited, Nix was spread over the infested snakes in full concentration. Common sense should dictate that reptiles and amphibians coming in direct contact with any fully concentrated chemical that does not occur in their natural environment would yield deleterious, if not downright fatal, results. The use of Nix discussed below involves a diluted solution (1 part Nix to 68 parts water) that has never produced adverse reactions in any python or boa in my collection over the course of 6 years. In fact, some snakes in my collection are proactively treated every 6 months as they make appearances at semi-annual reptile shows and I am not willing to risk the chance of mites from other exhibitors making their way into my collection. Even routine treatments on these boas and pythons over the course of several years have yet to result in any negative effects.
Materials
• Spray bottle. Preferably one that has never been used, or at the very least, one that has never contained harsh chemicals and has been thoroughly rinsed.
• 56 g (59 ml) bottle of Nix. I have only ever found this one particular size of Nix, which can be sourced at most drug stores and some pharmacy sections of grocery stores for anywhere from $6-$12.
• 4L (1 Gallon) jug of distilled water. Distilled water should be used to extend the shelf life of the solution. With distilled water, the solution’s effectiveness is expected to last up to 12 months as long as the solution is stored at room temperature and in a covered box (light breaks down the active ingredient found in Nix). Although, with one treatment and sound quarantine practices, the first treatment should be all that is necessary.

Creating the Nix Solution
• Pour the Nix cream into the 4L jug of distilled water. Nix is a fairly thick cream substance, so it may take a couple minutes to transfer as much of the cream into the jug of distilled water as possible.
• Replace the cap on the jug of distilled water and shake until the Nix cream is evenly distributed throughout the water. Again, this may take a few minutes due to the thick consistency of Nix.
• Pour the Nix solution into a spray bottle.

Eradicating Snake Mites
• If snake mites are only found on one snake or only in one snake enclosure, it is wise to conclude that mites have infested ALL snakes and their enclosures that are contained within the same room. Mites may have also transferred to snakes housed in another room by “hitchhiking on your hands or clothes. Therefore, absolutely all snakes and their terrariums should be treated to ensure 100% effectiveness.
• First, remove the snake from the enclosure and place in a Rubbermaid container. Spray the snake liberally with the Nix solution. Do not avoid spraying this solution on their head, eyes and heat pits – in fact, this is where mites commonly hide so spraying the head area is essential.
• Remove all substrate from the terrarium and throw away. Do not leave the garbage bag containing this old substrate anywhere in the house.
• Spray the entire enclosure, inside and out, including all cage furniture (branches, hide boxes, water bowl, etc.) and glass viewing area. Make sure that all corners and crevices are well covered with Nix solution, as this is where mites and their eggs are often hiding. Even spray the outside back of the cage and a 2-foot perimeter around the cage on the floor. The Nix residue that forms after drying is thought to even be effective at killing mites hiding out elsewhere in the room that may attempt to re-enter the snake cage.
• Replace the substrate with paper, preferably paper towel, as it is easy to spot mites on this. It is essential to use paper until you are absolutely certain that full eradication has been accomplished. I suggest waiting 3 weeks after the last live mite is spotted before using non-paper substrate.
• Remove water bowl from cage and replace, filled with water, 24 hours later. This ensures that the Nix solution is not washed off the snake by soaking in the water bowl before the active ingredient has had a chance to destroy all mites hiding under its scales.
• Return the snake to its enclosure and spray it, the cage, furniture and paper one more time.
• When the snake defecates during treatment, remove the paper and clean the messed area as usual, but be sure to re-spray the cleaned area and new paper with Nix solution.
• Repeat in 5-7 days twice, for a total of 3 treatments. With all likelihood, the last live mite will perish within a few hours of the first treatment, but repeating treatment is good practice in case the outbreak is severe and mites are able to re-enter cages.
Preventative Maintenance
Any snake entering a collection should be quarantined for 2-3 months, ideally in a completely separate room from where other snakes are housed, but at the very least in a separate cage. It should be assumed that any new snake has mites, regardless of how well respected the previous owner or pet store is. I have personally been let down on several occasions by leading breeders in our hobby, and from personal friends. It is my experience that employing the “better safe than sorry” approach is of paramount importance in ensuring mite breakouts never occur.

Given the above assumption new acquisitions, in addition to their cage and cage furniture, should be treated with Nix solution 3 times (one full treatment every 5-7 days). Same should hold true when a snake enters your colony for a breeding loan, even if it is your own specimen that was lent out and is returning. As previously mentioned, it is also wise to treat snakes that attend shows, where other exhibitors and spectators may have mite infestations. With the large number of people that handle your animals, or even just touch the enclosure in which your snakes are housed, the chance that a mite is hitchhiking on at least one of these snake enthusiasts at the show is good. Don’t become complacent and cut corners in this area, or you may find yourself right back where you started.

Cage furniture and substrate purchased at pet stores can also serve as mite vectors and should be treated with caution. Mite-free substrate can be purchased from pet stores that do not carry reptiles, from a livestock feed stores, or from landscape centres. Newly purchased cage furniture should be sprayed liberally with Nix solution. Highly porous cage furniture (wood hide boxes, branches, etc.) should be soaked in a 10% bleach solution for a day, then rinsed thoroughly, sprayed with Nix solution, and allowed to dry for a week.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Joejr14
Or, you just use some Sevin Dust

Old 03-14-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
dwyn127
I had the same problem years ago with a rainbow boa. A vet told me to hang a Shell no pest strip 2 feet above the viv. Mites were dead within a couple of days.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #4
joypassion
Question Help

About a month ago I got a baby corn snake. I wasn't told to use the HEAT treated bark so I used the NON heat treated and that resulted in mites!
I have tried soaking him in part water and part natural chemistry mites solution. I cleaned his quarters out with the same solution. So far, I have had no luck in getting rid of them. He seems to have no problem eating or with an appetite. I noticed last week, his scales are up and looking like he is about to shed. I have been patient in treating him again due to him shedding. So far, no luck with that either. It's been about 2 weeks now and he hasn't shed and I am not sure if I can treat him while he is in shed. Someone please help!! I am not sure what to do now and kinda stuck!!

Old 03-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
howiet4702
So he still has mites?

Old 03-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joypassion
About a month ago I got a baby corn snake. I wasn't told to use the HEAT treated bark so I used the NON heat treated and that resulted in mites!
I have tried soaking him in part water and part natural chemistry mites solution. I cleaned his quarters out with the same solution. So far, I have had no luck in getting rid of them. He seems to have no problem eating or with an appetite. I noticed last week, his scales are up and looking like he is about to shed. I have been patient in treating him again due to him shedding. So far, no luck with that either. It's been about 2 weeks now and he hasn't shed and I am not sure if I can treat him while he is in shed. Someone please help!! I am not sure what to do now and kinda stuck!!

Buy a 12 qt sterliite and some Sevin Dust. Sprinkle a layer onto the bottom on the sterilite and put the snake into it. Leave it there for 2 days. Put nothing else except for a cardboard hide (or something similar) into the sterilite.

Take everything out of the current viv. Fill it with a bleach solution and leave it for a day. It wouldn't also hurt to sprinke some sevin dust on your floor around the viv and vacuum the room.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
joypassion
Question Mites

Yes he does still have mites. Do I treat him while he is in shed or do I wait? What exactly is Sevin Dust and where would I buy it?

Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 PM   #8
TrpnBils
Quote:
Yes he does still have mites. Do I treat him while he is in shed or do I wait? What exactly is Sevin Dust and where would I buy it?
You can get it at Wal*Mart if I'm not mistaken...

Also, I have zero experience in treating mites. However, I do know that some people swear that Sevin Dust works wonders, and I've also seen people say that Sevin Dust has killed their snakes. I'm not sure who I'd believe if I were in your shoes, but I just thought I'd let you know that there are two sides to it... good luck, and let us know what finally works. Keep in mind that the mites could very easily be on the shelves/table etc, outside of your viv as well!

Old 03-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Joejr14
Quote:
Sevin Dust is a pesticide, available in powdered form. I'm not sure about WalMart, but I got my stuff at Home Depot.

I've never heard of it killing snakes, but that's just my experience. I had mites pretty bad with my ball pythons and two of my corns. I talked to my breeder and he suggested Sevin Dust, and told me exactly what I told you to do. He told me that was the top thing that his vet reccomended. I do believe on the bag it does say that you can use it on dogs for flea and tick control---but I'm too lazy to go outside and get the bag.

Kathy Love, in just another thread also said she has used Sevin Dust without any problems in the past.

My breeder also reccomended taking a half a teaspoon and mixing it into their substrate to prevent any future infestations.

I took my BP's out and did what I said--but left my corns in their viv with the reptibark, and used some sevin dust in with the reptibark. Never had a problem and haven't seen any mites since.

There are other methods, but that's personally what worked for me.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:50 AM   #10
kathylove
I have had a couple of people call me over the last few years with dead snakes due to Nix. But they may well have overdosed with it - I don't know exactly what they did. They were new hobbyists and were just going by what they heard. But I have had no personal experience with Nix.

But I have DEFINITELY killed corns (mainly babies) with small pieces of No-Pest Strips and I would not use that again.

And I DEFINITELY have never had a problem with Sevin dust (except trying to avoid breathing it myself). And so far I never had anyone call me with direct experience of losing an animal due to it. But I have never left an animal in with the powder for more than a few minutes, due to the dustiness of the product. But I did generally re-treat once or twice after a week or so, just in case any were missed. And it is great stuff to make a "moat" around an infested cage to stop mites from migrating.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google