CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Why is my corn so unusually small?

Old 07-31-2004, 10:53 PM   #1
Rinpu
Unhappy Why is my corn so unusually small?

I hate to add to the flood of "how old is my corn" type posts, but all the discussion lately about size and age has got me worried about my own corn. I received my snake (a male normal motley) in mid-March. I stupidly forgot to ask the breeder how old he was, but I assumed he was an '03 because the rest of the animals for sale were. He was about 12 inches long when I got him, and was an established feeder.

I fed him one pinky a week until the end of May; since then I've been giving him two pinkies a week and just recently moved him up to fuzzies. He's been shedding like clockwork every 45 days, and seems perfectly healthy.

The problem is that he's only 17 inches long right now. Everyone else's yearlings (such as in this thread )seem to be well over two feet long. Why is mine so small? Is it possible that he could be a freakishly early '04? Or have I been feeding him too little and stunted his growth?

Old 07-31-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
surfrkidTS
It is possible that he wasn't fed very much at his old home, or he might be younger than you think, but just make sure hes eating and try pumping him up if size is a problem. If you want him big start increasing his meal sizes and powerfeed time!

Old 08-01-2004, 06:31 AM   #3
DAND
A lot of breeders only "maintenance feed" (feeding every 7-10 days) due to the amount of little critters they have. This could be why your's is smalller than some of the others. It could also have been a late '03 and not even be a year old yet.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
Missy
i have the same problem Rinpu, i have a 2 yr old female, in which i know her age exactly as shes a baby from another two of my corns, shes 2 yrs old and is smaller than the yearlings peeps have shown on here, i fed her one pinkie a week for a little while then fed her 2 pinkies from when she was about 6 months old. shes now 2 and is still on fluff size mice. dunno whats gong on here and her parents are both 5 ft in length and aged 5 and 7 yrs old. lol. tis confusing, but i guess they all grow at their own rate no matter what their parents are growing at.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
Flygning
I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that a lot of pet stores will seriously underfeed on purpose, so that their older snakes look like little baby hatchlings, or close to it. I would powerfeed for a while.