• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eating but not striking

Reggie Wriggle

Reggie has stopped striking for his/her mouse. When I leave the mouse in the feeding box it gets swallowed. Any idea what could have caused this change in behavior?

Not worried since Reggie's still eating, wriggling, hiding and doing all the normal Reggie things.

he's probably figured out the mouse is already dead, so why bother striking.

Is the Mouse warmed to the correct temperature? A live mouse has body heat, and a cold mouse would not. Make sure it's still warm when you offer it to the snake. Are you wiggling the mouse making it look alive?

If I just lay a mouse in front of Rufus, he will just swallow it with no strike. But if I wiggle it and make him chase it around the box, he will strike at it, probably thinking it's alive.

Reggie is a smart corn snake. He figured out he doesn't have to exert much energy chasing prey, as it will be provided anyway. I feed every one of my corns using tongs, not so much to see them strike, as to make sure they all eat. Most of mine do strike, but I have 2 female coral ghosts that never strike. I feed them last because they take so long to finally grab the mice.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my snakes eat without bothering to strike or constrict from time to time. As long as they eat that's all I really care about.

Back