CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Baby corn vomit

Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
DetroitDizzy
Baby corn vomit

Hi, this is my first post.
I got my baby over a week ago. It ate a pinky and I waited 2 days to handle. I planned on waiting 2 weeks to handle but i realized my homemade hide for him was a bit too big and he didn't look like he was very secure in there. So i got him a new smaller hide. I went to remove him from the his tank to put him in a smaller tub while i rearranged his tank. He was obviously not enjoying me handling him and was very quick and squirmy. When i got him in his temporary tub i noticed a wet turd like thing on my carpet. It was pinkish and had a tiny mouse paw in it. after Googling i found out it was VOMIT not regurgitation.
My setup is a 10gal tank with UTH set at 88° and my thermometer reads 83-85° and my ambiant temp is room temperature 70-71°. All new aspen bedding, hides, purified water and branches.
Should i be worried? What should i do?

Also sorry no pics, i cleaned it up before i realized i should have.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I always thought Vomit and Regurgitation were the same thing. If it doesn't come out as poop, it comes out as regurgitation. "Vomit" is just another word for it.

Anyway, here is a link detailing specific care and problems with corn snakes, and about half way down the page you'll find info on Regurgitation. (Link Below)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Old 02-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
DetroitDizzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
I always thought Vomit and Regurgitation were the same thing. If it doesn't come out as poop, it comes out as regurgitation. "Vomit" is just another word for it.

Anyway, here is a link detailing specific care and problems with corn snakes, and about half way down the page you'll find info on Regurgitation. (Link Below)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342
From what i read regurgitation is when the mouse comes out relatively undigested and whole. Vomiting is when it comes out as a mostly digested, goo pile. The also said the vomit is usually caused by a bad water or a dirty bacteria ridden enclosure.
Perhaps my local pet store wasn't caring for him very well but seemed clean enough in the store.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Regurgitation is a "verb" ie- "He Regurgitated." (We all know that means, He "Threw up.")

Vomit is a "noun" ie- "What's that on the floor? His vomit." (Again, we all know he threw up.)

Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
DetroitDizzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Regurgitation is a "verb" ie- "He Regurgitated." (We all know that means, He "Threw up.")

Vomit is a "noun" ie- "What's that on the floor? His vomit." (Again, we all know he threw up.)
hahaha i know the difference, all i ment was the mouse was already mostly broken down into a slurry and didn't come out as a whole mouse thats all. An the website i looked at said there was a difference if they vomited of regurgitated, maybe they are wrong.
An vomit-ing is also a verb.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Twolunger
Dizzy, forget about vomit or regurges, just say he frontally expelled stomach contents. I would wait to offer another another pinkie until he has settled down for a week. I use probiotics for any snake that has a digestive problem, whether regurge or other. One of the best is Nutribac df. If you can't find it locally it is available on the web. Good Luck.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:24 AM   #7
DetroitDizzy
just ordered that Nutribac an ill wait 10 days just to be safe. thank you both

an i didnt mean to sound like an ass if i did.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Twolunger
Let us know if he returned to normal feeding. I had a hatchling do the same thing when I moved him to clean his container. I fed him a week later with a pinkie dusted with probiotics and he didn't have any more problems. I used to hit the herp shows in Michigan when I lived there. I think the Romulus show was kind of small, but there was a good variety there.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:48 PM   #9
DetroitDizzy
Will do ill let you know. Hopefully the probiotics does him good, an bumped his ambient temp up to 77°. I also got a ball python that is very healthy and has never refused a meal, would dusting just one mouse in the probiotics boost her health and immune system a bit or should I only use the probiotics for regurgitation issues? Never heard of reptile probiotics till this thread.
Also im from MI too, heard the Taylor expo is awesome.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 AM   #10
Twolunger
Probiotics can be used any time you feed. They are nothing more than good gut bacteria, but it is said that they stimulate digestion, and aid the immune system. Some snake breeders swear by Nutribac, but I also used Nature Zone reptile essential probiotics. A little goes a long way if you just lightly dust the mice before feeding. You won't notice any obvious results from using probiotics on a healthy snake, but should see an improvement in one that has digestive problems.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google