CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Caught today in Jax Fl

Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #51
Nanci
I can't remember when I've seen an albino yellow rat for sale. (Of course, I have never seen anything but a "normal" anything, in the wild, so...)

Old 07-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #52
Camby
gotcha! How long is he/she now? You won't hear the "no way the snake could have survived to be that big in the wild" argument from me. A friend caught a hypo (that is our best guess) greenish rat a few years back and that snake was white, pink and yellow at the time of capture and was 18"-20" when caught. So, I believe animals can make it to larger sizes when albinos or amels.

I sometimes wonder if human encraochment is a benifit in the case of some of the animals like the one you have. If we continue to move in and develop, we eliminate habitat for not only the snakes but for their predators, especially the overhead type? Just rambling, congrats on acquiring him/her.

dc

Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #53
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camby View Post
gotcha! How long is he/she now? You won't hear the "no way the snake could have survived to be that big in the wild" argument from me. A friend caught a hypo (that is our best guess) greenish rat a few years back and that snake was white, pink and yellow at the time of capture and was 18"-20" when caught. So, I believe animals can make it to larger sizes when albinos or amels.

I sometimes wonder if human encraochment is a benifit in the case of some of the animals like the one you have. If we continue to move in and develop, we eliminate habitat for not only the snakes but for their predators, especially the overhead type? Just rambling, congrats on acquiring him/her.

dc
Probably just under 24". I don't have an exact measurement.

If the greenish rat you caught was those colors, I'd say it was an albino/amel, too. What color was/are the eyes?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #54
Nanci
Right, and look at that adult snow that survived (thrived) for a year outside living under a member's house!!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #55
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post

If the greenish rat you caught was those colors, I'd say it was an albino/amel, too. What color was/are the eyes?

Here are two pics of the snake that Jim caught. The shot by it's self is probably the best representation of it's coloration. The compasison shot shows a normal and the morph he caught.

Several people have looked at the snake and it does not have red eyes. Sometimes in photos it appears to have ruby pupils but they are just due to the flassh and such. The snake has now developed into a yellowish ground coloration and brownish stripes. It superficially resembles a "lavendar albino cal king".

Coincidentally, he will have some available next year from the dad to het females he has raised.

dc

Old 07-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #56
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post

BTW, I didn't catch it or own it, my friend Jim Godfrey owns and captured it. Here is a link to his site and one to the story of the snake. Just wanted to be clear on that.

http://www.rebelratsnakes.com/

Story Link

http://www.rebelratsnakes.com/id11.html

dc

Old 07-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #57
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camby View Post
BTW, I didn't catch it or own it, my friend Jim Godfrey owns and captured it. Here is a link to his site and one to the story of the snake. Just wanted to be clear on that.

http://www.rebelratsnakes.com/

Story Link

http://www.rebelratsnakes.com/id11.html

dc
Oops! LOL. Guess I should read more carefully. That's really cool!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #58
Cflaguy
Reptile Shack has a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I can't remember when I've seen an albino yellow rat for sale. (Of course, I have never seen anything but a "normal" anything, in the wild, so...)
female right now, a proven breeder.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google