CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Copperhead in the barn.........How do we handle this??!!?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #61
knox
I happen to like air conditioning and indoor plumbing and driving and watching movies and medical treatment and buying my clothes instead of killing a deer for leather.

Do you enjoy these conveniences? Or do you not own a car, or a house, or eat at restaurants? Do you go to the super market for milk and soda and cookies?

I think the environment is doing just fine to sustain life. I don't see anything that is threatening life as we know it...

Old 08-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #62
knox
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
I have something for you to ponder. Dogs. Dogs are one of the leading causes of animal related injuries, yet we allow them in our homes. We allow them to play with our children. We allow them to sit next to us while we eat and sleep. Yet we say snakes are horrible for being in our barns eating our pests.......pitiful if you ask me.
I have snakes in my home.

I wouldn't have a dangerous dog in my home any more than I would allow a Copperhead to live in my yard with my kids playing.

A bite from a dog gives you stitches. A bite from a venemous snake gives you much, much worse.

People die from dog attacks. And you know what? I support the killing of those dogs. I support the killing of any dog that has even attacked someone if the person was just walking down the street minding their own business.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #63
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
I have snakes in my home.

I wouldn't have a dangerous dog in my home any more than I would allow a Copperhead to live in my yard with my kids playing.

A bite from a dog gives you stitches. A bite from a venemous snake gives you much, much worse.

People die from dog attacks. And you know what? I support the killing of those dogs. I support the killing of any dog that has even attacked someone if the person was just walking down the street minding their own business.
But the snake hasn't hurt anyone yet either. The snake is sitting in the yard not bothering anything. If the snake bites a person kill it and take it to the hospital to aid in treatment. But not before.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #64
knox
What about the hornet nest in the tree outside someone's door? Do you believe they should not be exterminated?

Old 08-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #65
Carinata
As long as they are not bothering anything

Old 08-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #66
knox
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
As long as they are not bothering anything
Then you and I certainly have different world views. The potential is there for injury and death for anyone who walks by.

I would erradicate them in the blink of an eye.

And again, I make no apologies.

What about roaches in your home? Do you allow them free reign in your cupboard and on your counters? They probably aren't "bothering" anyone, either - just trying to survive.

I lay poison to make sure they don't enter my home and infect my food.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #67
Carinata
Yes, I would kill roaches. They spread disease and can't help but harm wherever they go. But a snake is just minding its own without hurting others unless cornered.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #68
knox
"Unless Cornered".

Or how about Spooked unintentionally by a 4 year old girl?

The potential is there in both animals.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #69
dickdeuel
Just for everyones information snakemaster24 is only sixteen and has little experience with life or responsibilities. His views will change as he matures.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #70
knox
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdeuel View Post
Just for everyones information snakemaster24 is only sixteen and has little experience with life or responsibilities. His views will change as he matures.
Agree. Perspectives can be narrow when all sides and possiblilites are not entertained.

Listen, I love animals as much as the next guy. But I am not going to leave a hornet nest in my yard to sting me a hundred times when I am mowing my yard any more than a venemous animal.

The first time this kid gets stung by a swarm of bees, bitten by a black widow, or tagged by a "hot", his perspective will change.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google