CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Zombie Cornsnake (Seriously vamped out corn)

Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #111
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post

Just an fyi not everyone on this forum is a 'dude, bro or bud'. There are actually women on this forum as in the queen of cornsnakes.
You said that right!! Daddy O'

Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #112
gelshark
When I saw this

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto View Post
I can assure you my husbandry is A+
It made me laugh becuase earlier he said this

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto View Post
i even opened her mouth and tossed her around a bit
You'll eventually get things figured out, it probably only happened because you let the nine tailed demon fox out for a little bit, better work on getting that seal upgraded!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #113
jessicalb
As to your original question, two things I've noticed recently can speak to your experience. One, our larger snake stuck his head under in his water dish and stayed there for about 5 minutes. It was so long I got up and walked over to check to see if he was dead. He was fine. Two, I hadn't seen our baby for days so I went looking for him and found him under a hide and he was this greyish unmoving lump and I lost it totally and sobbed thinking I had somehow killed this beautiful little snake and then after a bit he moved veeeerrrryyyy showly and found another hide.

So, the moral of my stories is that snakes act dead and scare you and it would be wise to assume they are alive.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #114
VickyChaiTea
It really can't hurt to take her to a vet, or at least to call one and talk to them about the entire thing. Here are reptile vets in NY
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/newyork.shtml

Has the swelling gone down? Is she eating yet? I hope she starts eating for you.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #115
naruto
Thanks guys she is doing great! Sorry for being a hot head, thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelshark View Post
When I saw this

It made me laugh becuase earlier he said this

You'll eventually get things figured out, it probably only happened because you let the nine tailed demon fox out for a little bit, better work on getting that seal upgraded!
Ha ha, Blow me and my nine tail fox mo fo...... -___- so not funny.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #116
rich333
Wow!!! I mean..really?? wow!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #117
Dorgrim
hey, whoa lol

do you have pics of the snake and set up?
Poor little lady snake, we will figure out what is up yet!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #118
Susan
I knew there was a reason why I hadn't read this thread until now and that is only because of a reported post (surprisingly, only one).

naruto, I am very glad to hear your little corn snake is doing better and I hope, really hope, that it will continue to do well, but I have some doubts. In your first post, you say you have had her for 2 months and has only eaten once during that time. Later, you say she was in very poor condition when you got her. What you were trying to do in this most recent feeding attempt is called "tease feeding", where you irritate the snake with the prey item to the point it strikes and hopefully grabs and eventually eats the meal. Because your snake is basically starving to death, the stress caused by this procedure, in combination with the heat from the lamp, is what caused your little corn snake to almost die. You are very lucky that you left it alone and that it was able to recover or you would have had a dead baby snake. Most hatchlings that undergo a stress that causes them to appear dead don't recover, and if they do, it is often brief and they die within the next day or two.

The concern of the membership and yourself over the temperatures in your snake's environment is a very real one. You are afraid of the temps getting too low and causing a respiratory infection. You have a corn snake, a very hardy species that can easily tolerate temperatures within the human comfort zone. Corn snakes are routinely brumated for the winter in temps averaging in the low 50's to mid-60's. Granted, those snakes have been fasted to prevent digestive issues, but there is absolutely no danger in having your snake kept in temps in the 70's while it eats. There IS, however, a great danger of it becoming over-heated and dying very rapidly in temps of 90F and above. Heat lamps and just regular light bulbs put out tremendous amounts of heat very quickly within a certain distance from the lamp. It may not even feel hot to us because our body temperature is 98.6F whereas to a cold-blooded snake, 98.6F is lethal.

As a new member, I highly recommend that you read all the stickies at the beginning of each subforum. They will help you not only give the best of care to your corn snake but also give you some ideas on how this forum is run and what is expected from it's membership. We have a few "emotional" members that are not only out-spoken, but tend to speak too much, but do your best to leave the 'tude at the door, keep your cool, ignore the banter and listen to the advice you did get.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #119
Firefur
naruto - any living creature can get heat stroke yes snakes need heat but just because it is cold blooded it does not follow that temperatures can not be to hot. also i agree with may of the responses here, you should not get another baby corn and frankly the way you treated the "body of "a beloved pet" was highly disrespectful. i don't know how old you are but your mother may be right about you not having a snake at least not a young one. i would suggest re-homing the little one and getting an adult snake as they are more hardy and thus forgiving of beginner mistakes. i am not trying to be judgmental as i have had my share of newbee mistakes including one that ended with a gravid snake that just was only just at the minimum breeding size. and while conception likely happened around the time i picked the corns up from their original owners i would still blame myself if anything went wrong. also as much as you are going to hate me for this you need to take the snake to see a vet, by tossing it around like a ragdoll you may have caused internal bleeding or other sever problems that you can not see in addition to the damage you caused her vent. if you do not have the money talk to the vet their are ways around actual cash see if you can work for the vet for free until u have paid off the cost of the vet bill, believe me when i tell you there is always work to do around a vets office i know i worked for one for five years as a volunteer, and in that time i was taught many valuable lessons and i can tell you that most offices would rather have you taking out the trash and doing the huge amount of laundry that comes with vet work then someone who could be saving lives. talk to your vet if they are a good vet they will work out a way to help the snake.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #120
Firefur
as i read further into this i am going to make myself the bad guy by telling you this - show some respect to people who are older, wiser and more experienced then you. as for the not eating may i suggest trying a small lizard they are more expensive but corn snakes and rat snakes in the wild eat small lizards as hatchlings according to my herpetology (reptile biology) textbook. put her water-dish back in with her. also your temps are to high lower them. and honestly if you cant go to the vet their are some that will come to you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google