CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Don Soderberg's Palmetto

Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #81
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
F1 is the first generation. F2 is the second. That means that the normal offspring from the palmetto and the female were the F1- no palmettos produced. Breeding the offspring together, or back to the palmetto produced a second generation, this time with Palmettos. Because these appeared in the F2, it showed it was a recessive trait.
LOL I know what F-1, F-2, etc. is. I also know How/What was produced and proving out Palmetto to be recessive. What I did not understand was the exact thing that Robbie wrote (with the "^").

However, what I was saying, to Doug, is that I guess it depends on how you read "Did the f1 generation produce Palmetto babies".
IOW:
If it was meant "were there any Palmettos in the F-1's" ... well, the answer is no.
If it was meant "did the F-1's, ~themselves~, produce Palmettos" ... well, the answer is Yes.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #82
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
Forget it. It was a horrible joke.
F1squareds ... okay, now I get it.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #83
Nanci
I understood what you meant, Deb!!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #84
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I understood what you meant, Deb!!
Awesome!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #85
Drewby07
I believe, and Don can correct me if I'm wrong, that the palmetto is the first evidence of leucism in corns. Leucism is an oddball mutation in that it doesn't effect the production of pigment (like most color mutations do) but instead effects WHERE the pigment manifests on the snake. Leucistics almost always show pigment in their eyes, and randomly throughout the rest of their body. Some leucistic birds, for example, show colored feathers on some parts of their body but pigment-free (white) feathers on the rest.

Knowing what little I do of the ball python trade, I suspect we have MUCH yet to learn about the Palmetto. Leucistic ball pythons show up as combos of some other morphs, and don't seem to follow standard patterns of inheritance that we are used to seeing in corns. I would be willing to bet that the Palmetto morph is going to unlock a whole new lexicon of cornsnake morphs.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #86
Toddsnake
Talking 2012 Palmettos

I talked to Don a few weeks ago and he told me he would also start selling 2012 Normal females het Palmetto for $2000. It would take 4 or 5 years to start hatching Palmettos but it may be a more affordable way to start.

Todd

Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #87
Camby
Arrow

He updated his site with a new pic of a hatchling on the front page

cornsnake.net

dc

Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #88
SnakeAround
This week I stumbled into a discussion about the palmetto corn on a Dutch forum. Someone mentioned a chocolate chip ratsnake surfacing in 2003 that looked like the palmetto exactly. Not sure which breeder presented it, the poster was not clear about that. It disappeared though, and was never heared of again. The poster whom mentioned the chocolate chip is convinced it was used to cross the mutant gene into corns since they would bring more money to the table than rat snakes, and now here it is. Does anybody on here remember a chocolate chip rat snake? There was an article about it on kingsnakes. com the guy says but it is not there anymore.

The guy also suspects tessera and pied sided to be cross bred from respectively another pantherophis and obsoletus because of the similarity in patterns and the very low chance of a mutation appearing twice relatively shortly following each other in two different (sub) species. To me the fact that many mutations do appear in many (sub) species, like amelanistic, anerythristic, scale less, proves the opposite, so it is way more probable a mutation appears twice in different (sub) species than multiple large breeders brewing hybrids to mislead people into buying new corn morphs, don't you think?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #89
Susan
I found a document from the Portsmouth Reptile and Amphibian Society listing chocolate chip as being a mutation of black rat snake. It's also listed on The Ratsnake Foundation forum but apparently there was only one photo of the morph, not shown of course.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #90
SnakeAround
I guess Don is guilty as charged, kidnapping chocolate chip rat snakes and erasing photo evidence

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google