CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Best captures

Old 12-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #41
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
A baby black racer. The first time I found one of these, in my yard, I thought it was a baby cornsnake. (I'd only ever caught one other cornsnake and didn't know _anything_ about them yet!!) It bit me about a million times. That is one clue!!
LOL!!,.yeah, they are feisty alright!. I was in a pet store a while back, and a guy had a baby Black Racer in a jar and was getting a couple pinkies for his alleged "cornsnake"..LOL!. The so-called "experienced" employee there didn't even pickup on the fact that it was actually a young Black Racer either until I told the guy exactly what it was and how to care for it and what to feed it. I also told the dude if it doesn't do well and eat VERY SOON, the snake would be best let go where he found it since these people were absolute newbies to begin with. The dad new nothing, and the little kid wasn't old enough to have any responsibility or common sense at all either........I hope the snake is alive today and didn't suffer from neglect as so many snakes do...........sigh.

~Doug

Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #42
DMong
Quote:
Rough green snake:
Cool Rough (Keeled) Green Snake!

That is also the very first kind of snake I captured and owned around 1967 or so. Lucky for me my parents were VERY cool about me owning snakes as a young kid, and my mom would buy me all types of snakes for Christmas and birthdays. Miami corns, Indigos, Brooks kings, Yellow Rats, etc...from Miami/Dade from a friend of her's field herper husband. My entire wall of the bedroom was nothing but metal shelves of snakes from about second grade on.

~Doug

Old 12-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #43
DMong
Quote:
Love this picture!! Making more anoles for my yard!!
The female looks to be saying........"alright,.......we done yet???"

~Doug

Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #44
Lennycorn
None here but it been nice to see everone elses captures!!!
Nanci going for broke I see. hehe

Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #45
Growin up i would catch anything that walked across my path. Toads, Frogs, Aligator Lizards, Blue tailed lizzards, Bull snakes, Garters, You name it! But this guy was probally my favorite, he was just laying on a mossy rock wall soaking up some rays! But he almost had a blueish tint, and he was just lovely<3 i named him Twan.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #46
RobbiesCornField
Eastern Glass Lizard

Itty-bitty ringneck (don't worry, I let him go)

Black racer with a 'TUDE!!!

The coolest dang beetle I ever did see.

Another racer in the yard. He let me get CLOSE!

And another glass lizard that a neighbor had caught.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #47
Reptilekyle64
Ill Bite

A Spotted turtle I caught last year.

A relaxed black racer

A pretty male eastern box turtle that I found along a road side.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #48
Optreptiles
I really like the glass lizards! I didn't think they were so common in Florida.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #49
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optreptiles View Post
I really like the glass lizards! I didn't think they were so common in Florida.
Yes,......Glass Lizards are VERY common in Florida. In Ft. Lauderdale, they would be all over the property in the middle of the city when I mowed the grass and were ALWAYS found under the the old trash/composte pile when it was removed. Many Ringnecks would also be found in this prime habitat under the pile as well.

~Doug

Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #50
Optreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
Yes,......Glass Lizards are VERY common in Florida. In Ft. Lauderdale, they would be all over the property in the middle of the city when I mowed the grass and were ALWAYS found under the the old trash/composte pile when it was removed. Many Ringnecks would also be found in this prime habitat under the pile as well.

~Doug
That is really cool. It seems that all the best reptiles (and amphibians) live in Florida...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google