CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

possible new morph? You decide

Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #311
Wyldrose
Beautifullywild, I am going to have to try that with my 2 beardies
I hear that calcium sand clumps like cat litter and can cause some major blockages. Also the dyes used to color it can transfer to your pet, like blue feet/bellies etc. The dyes are non-toxic, but do stain.

I like newspaper, paper towels, shreded paper and aspen for my snakes. My 2 living room/display snakes are kepts on a loose type bedding to make the cages look better. The rest of my snakes are set up in my bedroom, so their bins don't need to look "pretty".

Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #312
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Thanks Floof!! It has been a few years since I kept lizards and I didn't know that either but it's great info.
Kind of a stretch, as some lizards do very well on sand -Egyptian sand fish, for an extreme example! It's not ideal for beardies, but I bet I raised well over a hundred on it before I ever got that memo, with no impactions. Calci-sand is one of those things I don't even carry in my pet shop, because it is SO unlikely that anyone looking for it actually has an organism that actually needs it. But to say "it is bad for all lizards" is inaccurate. I do agree that it IS less than ideal and poses some impaction risk for leo's & beardies, which is what most people seem to want it for. Just wanted to add a tad of clarity, lest people come away from this thread thinking sand is bad for all lizards.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #313
beautifullywild77
I agree Chip. There are those lizards that don't love licking things that it would work great for.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #314
beautifullywild77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldrose View Post
Beautifullywild, I am going to have to try that with my 2 beardies
I hear that calcium sand clumps like cat litter and can cause some major blockages. Also the dyes used to color it can transfer to your pet, like blue feet/bellies etc. The dyes are non-toxic, but do stain.

I like newspaper, paper towels, shreded paper and aspen for my snakes. My 2 living room/display snakes are kepts on a loose type bedding to make the cages look better. The rest of my snakes are set up in my bedroom, so their bins don't need to look "pretty".
I love the alfalfa pellets. It also adds the green color to the viv. Juju loves digging in it. It will clump with the poo as well. I get a big bag from the feed store.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #315
Nanci
You know what I like for substrate for lizards? Slate for dragons. Easy to clean. Adults can have an area of washed play sand. Uros are the coolest, though. White millet for substrate. Then they graze on it all the time, so they are fine to leave for a few days without a sitter, AND it makes them have nice solid poops! And the hulls of the seeds go right through them :-)

Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #316
Floof
Oops. I done a bad thing. And learned that "silly goose" is considered insulting. Curious. Sorry about that, Susan!

My apologies, Chip, and excellent point--some lizards DO do well in sand. After all, there's a reason Sandfish skinks are called "Sand Fish"! I have a bad habit of forgetting about those and honing in on things like beardies & leos that don't really need a burrowing substrate. Bad habit I've been meaning to break.

To be specific, I'm very skeptical about "reptile" and calcium sands being safe for anything. I do recognize that some species seem to do best on sand (i.e. sandfish) and that some people do have success keeping healthy, well-hydrated, and properly fed/supplemented beardies and leos on sand.

My Schneider's skink is supposed to be one of those species that do well on sand, though I'm still so accustomed to the stigma and arguments against sand in regard to beardies that I haven't had the guts to try it. Been thinking about trying a drier dirt mix, though... Nice and easily burrowed, with less impaction worries. I just love dirt mixes for those animals I do use them for (tortoise and a couple snakes)! Granted, those are all medium to high humidity species, so an arid dirt mix is new territory for me. Really need to get around to doing that--been wanting to do an arid planted viv for a Rosy boa, too!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #317
SnakeAround
I have posted some reactions on the posters page on FB, and he reacts completely normal. I have told him he has a lovely normal cubed and a lovely anery motley, amongst others, and he just thanked for it. Further he showed an amber which absolutely does not look like an amber. I told him so and he was completely nice and wanted to know what I thought it was.

So Nick, maybe we can start over here because you are a nice guy after all and you can continue to show us your animals and maybe learn a bit here an there

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google