CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

religion and hybrids

Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
obboi34
alright. let's back up a lil scootch.

the laws her friend was referring to are specific about a Temple cult from a few thousand years ago. one of the biggest precepts of the religion was an emphasis on separation between things, which still holds true in Judaism today. For example, observant Jews light candles before and sometimes after holidays to signify a separation, separate meat and dairy dishes (let's not even get into that one ), and behave differently on certain days due to holiday customs. Some also refrain from wearing clothing made of multiple fabrics and a few other things. We're an old religion and have had a lot of time to make rules.

an important thing to watch for in this discussion is the use of they. We have a saying; "two Jews three opinions." Besides the increasing number of religious sects, there is an incredible number of viewpoints. We are not a they. We can barely stand each other sometimes, though we all ostensibly worship the same deity. Added on to that is the fact that we all follow different rabbis who spend a lot of time thinking about how we can live potentially fuller lives. I'm sorry to say that I doubt there are any texts at present on the legality of snake interbreeding.

As to Jews having conservative views on integration and homosexuality, doesn't every religious community have such members among its ranks? Though I dislike and cannot find it in myself to respect such opinions, I can't deny that they exist.

A note on language of houses of worship. Reform and Reconstructionist Jews will often refer to their houses of worship as temples, while the more religious will say synagogue, beit knesset (house of gathering), or shul/shtebl. This is not the same as the Temple, which was the center of Jewish religious/cultural life until it was destroyed twice.

hope that clears some things up and doesn't ruffle any feathers/scales.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
Wow you have so much information so if there is no Temple where do Jews go for Sabath.
I didn't know Jews would eat flour is it only wheat or is white OK. Is OK to eat leavened bread or is it only unleavened?
well, I am just a baptist enjoying learning the roots of Christianity. for me and my friend our discussion are just to bring about brother love and understanding. he is the expert on Judaism

we discussed bread the other night.

here is what i gathered: very very little yeast is used in the making of the bread that you may consume.

a little yeast can go a long way in rising bread. the yeast represents sin, if you let a little sin into your life it may spread and grow. I think this also returns to the fact that gentiles were accepted in Judaism however they were not allow to hang out.

this can be seen in the new testament when peter goes to Cornelius the good gentile. however peter is persecuted because of going into the house of a gentile (hope I got this story right).

As far as which breads may be eaten I am not entirely sure.

well, the old temple was destroyed. originally the animal sacrifices would be made once a year for the entire nation. you would wade through a pool of blood before entering the temple as this is cleansing.

my understanding is that you can hold the sabbath at any synagog ?

or are you talking about passover?

please correct me if I am wrong on this

Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by obboi34 View Post

the laws her friend was referring to are specific about a Temple cult from a few thousand years ago. one of the biggest precepts of the religion was an emphasis on separation between things, which still holds true in Judaism today. For example, observant Jews light candles before and sometimes after holidays to signify a separation, separate meat and dairy dishes (let's not even get into that one ), and behave differently on certain days due to holiday customs. Some also refrain from wearing clothing made of multiple fabrics and a few other things. We're an old religion and have had a lot of time to make rules.

an important thing to watch for in this discussion is the use of they. We have a saying; "two Jews three opinions." Besides the increasing number of religious sects, there is an incredible number of viewpoints. We are not a they. We can barely stand each other sometimes, though we all ostensibly worship the same deity. Added on to that is the fact that we all follow different rabbis who spend a lot of time thinking about how we can live potentially fuller lives. I'm sorry to say that I doubt there are any texts at present on the legality of snake interbreeding.

As to Jews having conservative views on integration and homosexuality, doesn't every religious community have such members among its ranks? Though I dislike and cannot find it in myself to respect such opinions, I can't deny that they exist.

A note on language of houses of worship. Reform and Reconstructionist Jews will often refer to their houses of worship as temples, while the more religious will say synagogue, beit knesset (house of gathering), or shul/shtebl. This is not the same as the Temple, which was the center of Jewish religious/cultural life until it was destroyed twice.

NO feathers ruffled here. Thank you for your response I hope i have not offended you in anyway.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
obboi34
these friends of yours, do you know what sect they belong to? or would you be comfortable describing what they wear? they sound rather religious, more so than modern orthodox Jews. Based on your story about yeast as a metaphor for sin, I expect that they might be Chabad/Lubavitch, a rather religious and unusually proselytizing group. They do tell great stories, are often quite hospitable, and have an amazing spirituality.

Animal sacrifices were made all the time. usually for sin offerings and for recognition of holidays. modern prayer services are meant to act as a replacement. A Jewish service can be held anywhere as long as you have a certain number of people, usually 10, of a certain status.

let's not even touch passover. the laws get so much more complex than even many Jews want to deal with.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
obboi34
i'm not offended at all and I don't expect anyone else to be either. Judaism is confusing to those who practice it too. there's always more to learn, isn't there? I have a Baptist friend and we love talking about all of this kind of stuff.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
susang
Quote:

My statements were based on the broad stroke comments about a religous group and hybrids. Two Jews three opinions is exactly it, but true of other peoples/religions, there are more interpretations then people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
well, I am just a baptist enjoying learning the roots of Christianity. for me and my friend our discussion are just to bring about brother love and understanding. he is the expert on Judaism

we discussed bread the other night.

here is what i gathered: very very little yeast is used in the making of the bread that you may consume.

a little yeast can go a long way in rising bread. the yeast represents sin, if you let a little sin into your life it may spread and grow. I think this also returns to the fact that gentiles were accepted in Judaism however they were not allow to hang out.

this can be seen in the new testament when peter goes to Cornelius the good gentile. however peter is persecuted because of going into the house of a gentile (hope I got this story right).

As far as which breads may be eaten I am not entirely sure.

well, the old temple was destroyed. originally the animal sacrifices would be made once a year for the entire nation. you would wade through a pool of blood before entering the temple as this is cleansing.

my understanding is that you can hold the sabbath at any synagog ?

or are you talking about passover?

please correct me if I am wrong on this
See above comment, broad strokes about a religous belief. My comment on bread further enhances many views on one item. Many Jews eat Challa, definately a bread with yeast. Unleavend bread as some believed was a couple views one no yeast and two no time during Exodus to make leavened bread.
I guess you could say I was baiting a bit, maybe a lot. Why bring up hybrids a hot topic when there are numerous threads on hybrids and then make it sound like a Jewish/hybrid thing???????

Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
i'm not offended at all and I don't expect anyone else to be either. Judaism is confusing to those who practice it too. there's always more to learn, isn't there? I have a Baptist friend and we love talking about all of this kind of stuff.
lets be friends

I should be more specific (friend) / friends

I have no clue which sect (frank) follows

My other friend is a baptist (i believe) whose wife is Messianic

he wears a Yarmulke to work (all he is allowed to)

we also discussed a Tallit the other day. that discussion was very interesting.

but my new friend we must steer this vessel back into the topic of snakes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
are snakes in Judaism regard as "unclean/evil" ?

the story for genesis says that all man will hate them .

do you believe that the snake itself in genesis was evil or that it was forced into its actions by Lucifer or by fate itself?

P.S. I know that questions loaded because of the different views of Lucifer that Christianity and Judaism have.

pure evil or necessary tester difference ( if i remember that right)

Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
cornbreadandmilk
[/quote]I guess you could say I was baiting a bit, maybe a lot. Why bring up hybrids a hot topic when there are numerous threads on hybrids and then make it sound like a Jewish/hybrid thing???????[/quote]

I knew you were

I tried to answer as best I could still.

And I wrote this not to be antisemitic or cynical. i just true enjoy discussing religion, science and snakes.

So any discussion doesn't bother me even if I am wrong

Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
susang
I guess you could say I was baiting a bit, maybe a lot. Why bring up hybrids a hot topic when there are numerous threads on hybrids and then make it sound like a Jewish/hybrid thing???????[/quote]

I knew you were

I tried to answer as best I could still.

And I wrote this not to be antisemitic or cynical. i just true enjoy discussing religion, science and snakes.

So any discussion doesn't bother me even if I am wrong[/quote]

Well then you must understand one your topic does say religion so that is not off topic. I didn't think you were being antisemetic, just too broad a statement. As Obbi said Judism is very complicated, even more then Christianity.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
cornbreadandmilk
Please forgive me for painting such a broad stroke. I meant nothing by it. next time I will try to be more specific.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google