CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

British lizard

Old 10-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #41
diamondlil
Where I go ponyriding one of the colts was bitten by an adder this year, he had a nasty wound to his face. I'm planning to go looking around there next summer, now I know they're there.......

Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #42
lazer
cool! looks kinda like

Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #43
lazer
cool! looks kinda like a skink but ive only seen 1 skink in the wild!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #44
Drucifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil
There's an old stone wall that is brilliant for catching lizards. (I'm old enough to remember before they were protected, you could buy them in the local petshop)
The common lizard isn't protected is it?
I know a few people that keep and breed them.
I know adders and the smooth snake is illegal to capture.
You can (as far as i know) catch grass snakes, but they're very hard to feed in captive.
Best thing ever is newts, so easy to watch/keep as they go for any food that moves haha.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #45
diamondlil
Today all of our commonest reptiles are still in decline. However, extensive conservation and land management regimes seem to have arrested the decline of our two rarest species. Since 1981, all British reptiles have been protected by law. It is illegal to kill, injure or harm the adder, slow worm, common lizard or grass snake in any way and it is illegal to offer them for sale or trade them. The sand lizard and smooth snake have even greater protection, it being illegal to even disturb them. As such the collecting of British reptiles has pretty much stopped.
from this site;
http://www.onewildworld.co.uk/reptiles/conservation.htm

Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #46
Drucifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil
Today all of our commonest reptiles are still in decline. However, extensive conservation and land management regimes seem to have arrested the decline of our two rarest species. Since 1981, all British reptiles have been protected by law. It is illegal to kill, injure or harm the adder, slow worm, common lizard or grass snake in any way and it is illegal to offer them for sale or trade them. The sand lizard and smooth snake have even greater protection, it being illegal to even disturb them. As such the collecting of British reptiles has pretty much stopped.
from this site;
http://www.onewildworld.co.uk/reptiles/conservation.htm
So you can't keep common lizards anymore?
Well that's a bit pants.

I KNOW newts are allowed to be kept.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #47
UKCryptid
Well, that also depends on the species of newt...

Old 01-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #48
Drucifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCryptid
Well, that also depends on the species of newt...
All the native species are protected, to varying degrees, by the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981. The smooth and palmate newts are protected only against unlicensed trade in wild-caught individuals, while the crested newt enjoys the maximum protection possible, being protected against intentional killing, capturing, possession, trade and disturbance. In addition, it is illegal to release any non-native species into the wild, including species previously naturalized. A maximum penalty of £2000 per animal can be levied if prosecution is brought.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #49
UKCryptid
That's what I was saying? Perhaps you made a typo in your post that i replied to, you stated that we ARE allowed to keep newts.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #50
Drucifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCryptid
That's what I was saying? Perhaps you made a typo in your post that i replied to, you stated that we ARE allowed to keep newts.
Whoops, sorry =/

Yeah, we are allowed to keep the smooth, palmate and common newts, just not the crested.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google