CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

HUGE finds...

Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #31
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Corn Snake View Post
I just come across this thread, they look loverly!

I believe they will probably live longer happy lives with you, than being eaten by a bird or other predator in the wild.
I am in complete agreement with you, George.

I also firmly believe that the instincts a snake possesses allow it to recognize the safety and security of captivity and adapt. Sure...they don't have as much room to roam as they do in the wild. But they also don't have to go weeks foraging for food. They don't have to wander the desert seeking out viable water sources and hoping they aren't contaminated or polluted. They don't have to worry about the hawks, eagles and crows overhead, the cars coming down the road, or the countless other people around that kill them just for kicks.

Snakes are shy for a reason...they may be predators, but they are still part of the food chain for larger predators. The life expectancy nearly doubles in captivity for most species of snake, simply because the trials and threats of the wild are completely removed. They have everything they need, and nothing that can hurt them.

I consider it "retirement living"...And quite frankly, so long as I am legal in all of my collections...I really couldn't care less what someone else thinks of the activity. If someone doesn't like the fact that I field collect native species(legally, the only way for me to acquire them...), that is there problem. I don't really care what they think...(hint, hint...).

People can either enjoy the pictures of the wildlife that I post, or they can move on, shaking their heads and thinking ill of me. It's no skin off my nose, either way...

And for the record...the two I kept are only 10% of what I have found so far this year...and that's just the Rubber Boas...

Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #32
kshannon
Please keep the pictures coming!!! I look forward to your posts, and am disapointed when there isn't any.

Thank you!!!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #33
norm
I think everybody should keep in mind that man didn't invent snakes and everything was wild caught at some point in time. Same goes for any pet. If you keep pets at all, what's the difference? Because somebody before you caught it and bred it and you bought the descendants? If snakes are happier in the wild, let's buy up as many as we can and set them all free.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #34
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier View Post
And for the record...the two I kept are only 10% of what I have found so far this year...and that's just the Rubber Boas...
Chris,
Why havent you sent me some?? lol

Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #35
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
Chris,
Why havent you sent me some?? lol
Brother, I would...but it's illegal. I can't buy, sell, trade, import or export native species. The ONLY LEGAL WAY for me to keep them is to find and collect them...

Old 06-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #36
Nanci
It's time for an update photoshoot!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #37
patm1313
Wait a second, your telling me that the thing in the OP isn't a worm?

Odd...

Old 06-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #38
starsevol
Pat,

Worms don't have scales. What you are looking at in the OP is one of only 2 species of North American boid. I keep rosy boas in addition to my corns. The snake in the OP is the rubber boa.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #39
patm1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Pat,

Worms don't have scales. What you are looking at in the OP is one of only 2 species of North American boid. I keep rosy boas in addition to my corns. The snake in the OP is the rubber boa.
I was kidding. People take me too seriously. Anyway, on another note, I really like rubber boas. They are either my favorite or second favorite boa, only competing with rosies.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #40
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier View Post
Brother, I would...but it's illegal. I can't buy, sell, trade, import or export native species. The ONLY LEGAL WAY for me to keep them is to find and collect them...
I hate your state!! lol

I still would love a pair of those. A friend of mine has some that he brumates in his fridge in the winter. He says they still cruise around the container while in the fridge. They are very cool.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google