CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Very UNUSUAL garter...

Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
Allison
Very UNUSUAL garter...

Hey everyone,

I was walking along a trail tonight when this little fellow/gal popped out from under the brush. My first thought was "Oh look, a garter" until I got a little closer to look. Needless to say I allowed myself to be musked into oblivion to get a closer look at him/her.

Does anyone know what to call this? I have seen it in corns but I can't remember the term. Piebald seems incorrect because the snake is distinctly blue in the disrupted areas. Perhaps this is due to a disease or sickness?

I believe it is a simple Terrestrial Garter (Thamnophis elegans), which is about the only snake found in my neck of the woods. Either way, I think it is a really exciting find.

ANY input would be great, tell me what you think!!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
VickyChaiTea
Hmmm... doesn't look like a disease. It would be really neat if it was a random color/pattern!! Any breeding plans?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Allison
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyChaiTea View Post
Hmmm... doesn't look like a disease. It would be really neat if it was a random color/pattern!! Any breeding plans?
I don't think it is a disease either.. the scales seem perfectly normal in the "bald" areas. Perhaps a genetic disorder? It sure would be neat as a new morph if it was a gene.

As for breeding... not yet. I'm still waaaay to novice to start a project, especially with a species that I do not spend a lot of time with.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
VickyChaiTea
Maybe you could sell it to someone who could breed it?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
The_Thunderer
VERY interesting, Allison! Wow... So KEWL looking! Might be worth holding and seeing if he'll eat for ya.

Please keep us appraised of his status.

Intriguing!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
Brewster320
Definitely something to hold onto. Garters usually adapt to captivity pretty well. Feed them worms, guppies, frozen silver sides(which you can find at the pet store with the frozen fish food), maybe some tadpoles, and to make life easier once he/she gets settled you can pretty easily switch them over to mice. Also DO NOT feed garter snakes gold fish, rosy red minnows, fathead minnows, or cat fish. These fish contain a chemical that blocks the absorbtion of vitamin B and can kill a garter in long run. The rest of there care is pretty similar to a corn snakes although they have a higher metabolism so they poop more and need to be fed more often, about 2-3 times a week(unless your feeding mice, then you can feed once a week). Good luck with him/her, its an awesome looking snake!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
RavenSpirit360
I agree, you should look into breeding it or sell it to someone who will. You may have found a new gene and it should be looked into. I wish I would find something like that. I have a friend who buys snakes that are or may be new genes and he breeds them.. He has some cool stuff.. I don't know if he's into garters though.. lol... But that guy needs to be bred
Keep us updated

Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
JimGERcream
maybe these guys could help you?! ---> http://www.thamnophis.com/forum

I have to agree with the others, I'd breed it or sell it to someone who's into those garters

Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
JoannaD
I agree with what everyone says about this gem with one caveat. You might want to wait for a shed to see if the color remains after the shed. It might be some dye that he got from somewhere!

Thamnophis.com is a good place to start. You might also want to show him to Scott Felzer http://www.albinogartersnake.com/ .

Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
Cornsnake124
This is thinking out of the box, but could it be the calico gene in this wild snakes bloodline?

Another thing that popped into my mind was an old burn..????

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google