CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Was at Petco and....

Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
1TimeMoM
Was at Petco and....

was browsing at the corns and saw a baby that was amazingly gorgeous and struck me odd.. At first glance and considering its petco u atomatically assume amel.. but when u take a second look at this lil fellow he is odd... he isnt like any amel I have seen and I can kick myself in the butt for not taking a picture.. his saddles are the lightest palest orange I have seen and he was peachy everywhere else.. his outlined saddles are a thick thick border and kinda clearish whitish.. what color would u consider that his he an amel? or is he a mistake...

Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Nanci
He sounds like an amel to me.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
ZoologyGirl
My guess is it was a really young amel that hasn't really developed much of it's color yet. Though without a picture it's just a guess.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
1TimeMoM
Yea Im mad at myself a lil for not taking a pic while i had him out.. he was jumpy so I didnt want to try to take a pic and hold him lol... he was very tiny... so maybe thats what is was.. but see my whiskey was bout that size when I got him and he was never that light... which in pics whiskey looks orange but in person hes more of a like brick red burgundy color... I have also noticed today that whiskey has a tiny brown dot next to his pupils.. and his light color is starting to blend through his saddles onn that dark reddish color... ( his saddles are honestly very close to the deep red on the quick reply tool bar thingy on here.. ) why is the color blending through like that.. is that normal or is it some kind of morph type thing?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
The_Thunderer
There's a wide variety of color in amels... some are high white, some are more orange some are more red. Most change LOTS from when they're babies... of course as corns they almost always change for the better in beauty.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Floof
Whiskey sounds like a Normal to me. The one at the store was most likely an amel... Amels lack all black pigment, which is why they have the white borders around their lighter colored (often bright red to orange) saddles. It may have just been a particularly orange amel. I have a few very orange amel hatchlings right now that sound right along the lines of what you're describing. Their mother tends to throw very orange babies (she, herself, is very orange), and the babies' caramel hets seem to have thrown a very nice yellow/orange wash to top it off.

If you don't mind my posting them, here's a couple pictures of a couple of my amel babies: one very orange one, and one rather "normal"-looking (aka more reddish). In these pictures, both snakes are just over a week old... Pictures were shortly after their first sheds. I'm guessing the Petco baby looked like one of these?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
1TimeMoM
the petco baby looked more like the first one except he was paler.. whiskey is more like the second one but like I said where its orange whiskey is a brick red color.. when I take pics of him he is more orangy than in person... he is kinda like the red on the normal/classic hatclings.. with yellow hurricane looking spots between his saddles...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
1TimeMoM
Oh yea thanks for posting those pics for me..

Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Medevil_Nuke
Hmm interessting...
From what I can understand, it sounds like an Amelanistic, but without pictures we really can't be sure.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
Floof
Ooh, sounds like a cutey, then! Orange amels are my favorite... Lol. You're welcome for the pictures, by the way. I always love to be able to help out.. Especially when I can show off a couple of my babies at the same time, lol!

Your description of Whiskey confuses me a little. An amel, with normal-colored saddles? I guess I'll just have to wait for you to put up pictures of him! =)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google