CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

soaking tail after shed

Old 11-15-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
Neumann
Exclamation soaking tail after shed

Greetings,

Ichabod shed last Sunday and apparently I didn't inspect the skin well enough. Last night while hoding him I thought I noticed that his tail had a couple millimeters of skin still on it. I confirmed this after reinspecting his sloughed off skin- the tiniest bit of tail tip was not on the shed skin.

We filled a cup with water, soaked his tail for 5-10 minutes and I used a wet paper towel to aid in pulling the unshed skin off. It came off without a problem but there is slight difference in the color of his tail tip. It's so minor that I needed a magnifying glass to see it properly.

Hopefully it hasn't done any perminant damage and will heal now that his circulation has been restored? I feel foolish that I didn't catch this until after nearly a week since his shed. But it was very small and we fed him after his shed so we didn't handle him until last night.

Did I do the right thing?

Cheers,
Jason

Note:
He never stops surprising us. As poof of his incredibly mellow temprament, he started drinking water from the cup while we held his tail submerged in the water. I half expected him to bite when I started messing with his tail but not ol' Ichabod. When he has a couple of lemons (like me and my daughter), he just makes lemondade - and DRINKS it! He he.

Old 11-15-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
Chip
Sounds like ol' Ichibod will be just fine

I've known folks to have that happen with venomous snakes and wait until the subsequent shed, where it almost invariably comes off the next time. I'll usually try to get any "hangers on" from my colubrids, though. I doubt it was serious enough to cut off circulation or cause permanent damage, although you didn't mention the time it stayed on there. Snakes are pretty resilient creatures. You'd be surprised by some that have come to our nature center and rehabbed nicely. I've even seen a tail cut off!

Old 11-16-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
syco
You did the right thing by getting it off, I doubt it did any permanent damage though. I have one corn snake my oldest and first that is missing the tip of his tail because he went a couple of sheds with the tip staying on. Hey! I was new to this, I didn't know That is the first thing I do when any of my snakes shed is check for the tail tip and the eye caps.

Old 11-16-2003, 05:20 AM   #4
blito
it just goes to show how important it is to inspect both the snake and its shed-skin.
this very thing has happened to Chione several times, and like you , i used the water+paper towel technique to make it right.
Not quite so sure on how i would manage to get stuck eye-caps off though, its thankfully not something i`ve had to contend with

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google