CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

The Little Cobra That Could: A Drama

Old 10-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
COerriccaRN
Cool The Little Cobra That Could: A Drama

I walked out onto my porch the other day to find this little guy spread out on the cement. He is an Adder (spelling?) and put on a very *dramatic* show for me when I tried to push him off the porch with a stick.

Act One: He tries to act very tough, but isn't to serious about it.

Act Two: He gets a little more serious. A lot of hissing going on. He even puffed up to look like a cobra. At this point, the broom handle is getting some fake striking action and my dog is hiding under the porch. It was very convincing, he really had me going. I almost ran away. But... he had to get off the porch.

Act Three: The snake can tell his little aggressive show is not scaring away my broom handle so he does what any talented actor would do in a tough time... Die. He fell over "dead." Of course, I know he is still alive because he forgets that his flicking tongue is a pretty good sign he is still alive and well. I just let him believe it was working...

Act four: Every so often he would take a peek to see if I was still standing there... and of course, I was. I guess he figued he wasn't convincing enough so he went all out. Mouth open, tongue lolled out, no writhing WHAT-SO-EVER... I think he MAY have even held his breathe. I could tell he was trying so hard to make me leave, so I just walked away. After his miraculous resurrection, he was hassled by the dogs (and we ALL got a repeat performance) and finally crawled into the garden (not before pooping all over my clean porch.)

Just thought I would share! I got a good laugh out of this crazy little guy!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
The_Thunderer
Is it an adder or an hognosed snake??? Looks like a hognosed to me... but I'm NO expert. LOL.

GREAT pics!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
COerriccaRN
Its an Adder. Promise!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Hallie
That's a hoggie...

Old 10-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
COerriccaRN
It's an Adder. Its called a Spreading Adder. I have grown up around them. Plus, Adder's are known for their "cobra" puffing when they get angry and playing dead.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
The_Thunderer
We're all right... Here are a couple of links...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...959#post955959

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/hetpla.htm

On the second link it says.. "also called a 'Puff Adder'..."

Old 10-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
danielle
He's so cute I want to give him a hug

Old 10-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
COerriccaRN
Cool, I didn't know that Spreadin' Adders and Hoggies where the same.

And he was goffy. You wouldn't have wanted to hug him before he played dead. He was VERY ticked off LOL

Old 10-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Hallie
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Thunderer View Post

On the second link it says.. "also called a 'Puff Adder'..."
Good to know Fred!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
COerriccaRN
We have always called them Spreadin' Adders (not spreadING lol) I never knew they where the same snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google