CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Controversial Discussion: Direction of This Site

Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #71
wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstphal View Post
I am comfortable with obeying stricter rules than that if the mods feel those rules are needed. As long as I know what the rules are and what the consequences of breaking them are, I'll obey them unless the issue is REALLY worth the consequences. I doubt that'll arise, but I will take my lumps if it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
Implied profanity IMO should be clear as daylight before considering any sort of punishment. And if that is the case, then the individual will see no problem is taking the punishment, as it would be obvious to him or her and everyone else exactly what the word was.
What they said!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #72
wstphal
I don't think spelling out OMG is a cussword, just pointed out that some people would.

As far as the bickering goes, as long as it is issues oriented, and doesn't degenerate into "You idiot! Am not! Are too!" I can ignore it.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #73
Dinah
I am new and don't have a whole lot to add, just that this is only my second actual forum that I have used the rest of my online stuff has been using a different type of format. Anyways I left the other forum specifically because I felt it was over moderated. Here I have not seen any indication that the board is over moderated, but I would at least like to put out there that over moderation to me is not a good thing. Again I have not felt that this board was over moderated, I just wanted to offer the opinion regarding that subject. I actually really like it here so far.

Anyways on the profanity issue, I being new have recently read the site rules sticky at the top of the introduce yourselves page. My suggestion would be that if it is determined that implied profanity is going to count as an infraction then the sticky should be changed to specifically state "profanity or implied profanity" I totally understand and am willing to follow all of the site rules but I am just saying that if it is decided that implied profanity is also not ok, then I think it should say that in the site rules sticky so that way it can be clear to new members right away.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #74
Rich Z
A couple of points need to be made here, I think.

First off, getting an infraction is NOT a punishment. Those infraction notices are warnings that an actual punishment is IMMINENT if those warnings are not heeded and the infractions be avoided in future posts. The infraction system is an excellent tool for the moderators to use for a number of reasons. One is that a clear record is kept of all of the infractions that any member make make here. Someone may feel that they have a "budget" of one profanity laced post per month, which most people would not be able to remember. The infraction system, however, DOES keep track of that and accumulates the infraction points accordingly. Also, it allows a convenient audit trail for my review in case there are any questions or concerns about the use of the infraction system. Mods are people just like you and I and can have bad days, bad weeks, or even a life that suddenly turns bad on them. It is in the best interests of this site that I try to keep close tabs on the actions my mods take so I can take steps to head off any problems that a mod may wind up creating for me and this site. It can happen, I am cognizant of that fact, and I will certainly try to stay on top of that issue.

On another line of thought, the issue of consistency of enforcement of the rules was brought up. Let's see, I just looked at the posting stats and it shows that 921 posts were made in the past 24 hours. So, let's see, we have 3 moderators here at this time, so I guess I should check with them to make sure they each read their allocation of 307 posts. To you see how unrealistic that demand would be? And in like vein, can you see how inconsistency is inevitable simply because ALL posts will NOT be read here by the mods. Even if they were to be, the mods are not clones of some central requisite personality so that all decisions will be identical from all of the mods. So some will have personal backgrounds that may lead them to feel that something said in a post is a violation, whereas another may not thing that exact same way. That's just the way it is, and there is no way to make that any better. Even if there were only ONE mod reading and evaluating all the posts, this one person may be in one frame of mind while reading one post, then three days later read the same exact wording and be in a completely different frame of mind and react differently. That is just human nature.

On another topic, profanity. Sorry, but this will always have to be a gray area that cannot be put into a black and white definition. Even if I made an absolute list of words that are considered to be profanity, there are any number of ways to get around that, which would mean either that list would have to be continually updated with the work around words, or it would be soon abandoned once the futility of it was pointedly shown. Also, keep in mind that I tend to gear my sites more to adults then I do to children. I don't actively discourage them from coming to this site (FaunaClassifieds, however, has a filter to deny registrations from anyone under 13 years of age), I also will not particularly make much effort to keep it a PG-13 rating. The policing of the content filter allowed to be displayed on any person's browser will have to be at the browser level. To do so otherwise would make this site have to comply with so many conflicting requirements of individual viewers that the least common denominator effect would make it such that people will become afraid to post nearly anything for fear of offending someone and receiving an infraction because of it. So necessarily, such rules about profanity and the like will have to be gray area, at the discretion of the mods under my suggestions. I'm sorry, but I've been over this issue many times on FaunaClassifieds, and that is the only realistic way to deal with this. And if you combine this topic with the above about consistency in enforcement of the rules, I am certain you can see how difficult it will be trying to moderate a site with the amount of traffic this one is getting. All I can ask of the mods is to do their best with the enforcement of the rules. All I can ask of the membership is to do YOUR best to try to make their jobs easier. Otherwise if you burn them out, it may be tough to find replacements that are doing as well of a job as the current staff is doing.

Darn, I'm not going to proofread all that junk. Please excuse any disjointed sentences....

Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #75
dionythicus
Rish posted before I finished typing, but here's my .02.

Perhaps something we should consider is deciding once and for all: is this an adult site (with some profanity and mature content) or is it a "children might be watching" site and we tone it down entirely for the sake of the underage? I know we have a forum for adult stuff, maybe that's the only place where profanity (outright or implied) should be allowed and all other forums must be kept completely clean of such things. Is it so hard to use, "Wow, that lavablood is gorgeous" instead of "OMG"? Or open a thesaurus for other adjectives in place of imagined profanity? We wouldn't even have to debate whether "freak" is a weak replacement for the F bomb if we think of other words to use that would be absolutely benign. After all, we're typing with our hands, not blurting out of our mouths, so there is some delay and thought that goes into a post before you hit OK.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #76
wilomn
Hey Rich, I feel like I've slipped back in time and stepped a couple of dimensions to the side and am now reliving the past.

Seems Fauna had a few of these discussions as well. In fact, I bet the ones there and the ones here are almost identical post wise, though different users made them.

Interesting isn't it?

Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #77
wade
Rich, I just want to go on record as saying that over all I think the mods are doing a great job, with very littte thanks.

I just wish they would quite giving me &%$*&% infraction points.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #78
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I just wish they would quite giving me &%$*&% infraction points.
Did you see what he just did? OMG!

Seriously -

If I don't like what's on television, I change the channel. That analogy pretty much sums it up for me.

Dale

Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #79
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionythicus View Post
Perhaps something we should consider is deciding once and for all: is this an adult site (with some profanity and mature content) or is it a "children might be watching" site and we tone it down entirely for the sake of the underage?
I agree totally. Of course, that would mean no pandas too!

Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #80
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
On another line of thought, the issue of consistency of enforcement of the rules was brought up. Let's see, I just looked at the posting stats and it shows that 921 posts were made in the past 24 hours. So, let's see, we have 3 moderators here at this time, so I guess I should check with them to make sure they each read their allocation of 307 posts.
Oh, yeah, I do see that. Some degree of consistency would be nice, though. If you spell out the f-bomb, all mods should act ~about~ the same regarding that violation of the rules. If you make an explicit death thread, all mods should act the same on that.

Mind you, to the extent that I can detect the actions of mods, I think consistency IS present, so I have no complaints on that score.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google