CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How to tell when snake is comfortable with new home?

Old 06-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #11
67temp
If she is getting ready to shed I wouldn't be worried that she hasn't moved much. One of my snakes I typically don't see for 2 weeks. He will go into hiding a few days before even actually turning blue.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #12
hypnoctopus
She looks like she's in blue. The clear stage happens right before they shed, so it should be soon now. Hiding while in blue is completely normal, don't worry!

Old 06-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #13
MatCat
I woke up today to not be able to find her anywhere! looked around and she decided to hide under a different part of the tank! Atleast she moved, problem with paper towels on a snake this size is they hide like easy in these paper towels and become hard to find! I am glad she finally decided to move in some way, hopefully she is getting ready to finally shed so I can feed her .

Old 06-15-2020, 10:59 PM   #14
SnakeCreations
Hey MatCat -

It's hard to be patient, for sure. However, your snake does appear to be in blue. You can introduce a moist hide with either damp moss or a damp paper towel to encourage shedding. I wouldn't start to worry until after your snake has shed. That said, I have had snakes that hide all the time, it's simply a defense.

-Tonya

Old 06-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #15
MatCat

YAY! Woke up to find this beautiful full shed!

Old 06-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
hypnoctopus
Looks like a great shed!

Old 06-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #17
MatCat

Her color has really popped since shedding! So now my question is, should I try to feed her tonight? She arrived deep in blue last Wednesday, and finally shed last night, is that long enough for her to get acustomed? Should I give her time now that she has shed to explore her home for a few more days now that she can see properly before attempting to feed? Or just try to feed her tonight.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:37 PM   #18
MatCat

YAY SO HAPPY! Fed her tonight for the first time and she took it like a champ!

Old 06-17-2020, 12:40 AM   #19
CornsAustria
Do you have a wet box for her ?
Its a box with a hole in it filled with moss, I use old butter boxes or tupper ware... - they need it to diggest and when they get ready to shed - my older ones are often more then 5 days in this wet boxes...
when its ready to shed, they need a higher humidity and because they don't see that many when they are blue, they don't move no worry please, but don't 'overload' your small tank, this can be to much for them, also they love to dig,... maybe another ground... aspen or something similar ?

Old 06-17-2020, 12:46 AM   #20
MatCat
I actually have an atomizing humidifer that can raise the ambient humidity in the entire viv, during shed I had it set to 70%, I have it off now, though I am going to control it with a Pi to maintain an average humidity which will have a 'shed' mode that will go up when she is in shed. There is also of course water bowl big enough for her to soak in if she wanted as well, I purposely have the humidifier setup to keep one of the hides extra moist if she so chooses to use it. I am an EE and design electronics for a living so automated viv stuff is a piece of cake for me, keep an eye out for my tank setup, will do a thread in DIY.

Also on bedding yes I already have aspen to use, BUT I wanted to use paper towels for a few weeks just to monitor her and make sure everything looks happy and healthy with her stool movements and all that, so soon she will get proper aspen .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google