CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items For Sale Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, can be posted within this area. ALL members can place ads in this section.

Out of work dog needs a home, Northern VA

Old 06-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
alan
Out of work dog needs a home, Northern VA

Northern VA/Springfield area...
Can you give an out of work yard dog a home? She wasn't really good at her job and got replaced. We just got a video surveillance system at work and she's going to the shelter on Monday (6-15) if she's still at work. Be a shame to see a good pup like this killed.
This is a wonderful dog, mixed breed mostly shepard. Female, spayed, incredibly healthy, goes to the vet, no fleas or ticks, fairly intelligent, not such a good watchdog(too nice).
The caveat: she needs a strong fence, she's a strong dog. That's all, and I would only worry about that because she will at first have displacement issues and may try to get out.
She's really great, quickly trainable with praise. She already knows how to walk on a leash and will sit when I stop walking. I can hold a treat in front of her nose and she will not take it until I say "okay". She learned that in one short afternoon and has remembered it since.
Pictures and videos at http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/open/selena/

Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Susan
I'm having a bit of an issue about how disposable this great dog is to it's "owner". She has obviously been well taken care of, despite being so unloved and easily replaced by a machine. Would it be so dang awful to keep the dog on as a back-up system, just in case of a power failure or something? It's almost as bad as the people who dump their pets at the pound simply because it changed from a puppy or kitten into an adult dog or cat and isn't as cute anymore.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I'm having a bit of an issue about how disposable this great dog is to it's "owner". She has obviously been well taken care of, despite being so unloved and easily replaced by a machine.
Yeah, I'm having a bit of an issue with the same thing, thank you for agreeing. I have been the one that has taken good care of her, every day, at work. I have been given no leeway on the time frame, no time to find her a home. I was told this on thursday, a co-worker was going to keep her, we found out today that she cannot.
My home and yard are not suitable for this dog, that's why I have three small dogs. It's really tearing me up that I can't at least keep her until I find her a place to live.
I think they expect ME to take her to the animal shelter on monday, if so then we'll have another argument, bigger than the one we had thursday when the boss told me she was going. I have been working for this company for 20 years and that was the first time that I found it necessary to YELL at the owner, and I hung up on him.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Vinman
Unhappy

This story just breaks my heart. Nice of you to try to find that cutie a home. You know comming from the bronx I think sue has the right idea about using both dog and cameras

Old 06-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
This story just breaks my heart.
Me too Vin. I can't find her a place on short notice like this.
I'm not without resources, yesterday we found a home for a little silky terrier stray that member Nicole(NFS07) brought to us only 10 days ago. Little dogs are easy, I can't even keep a dog like Selena at my house. I also have a female that will not tolerate another female.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep her, but I just don't have the money for the containment I would need and she can't stay in the house. I tried her on a chain at work and she kept pulling until she got the collar off. She's never been tied up before.
Still accepting help if anyone's interested!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Susan
Have you tried calling all the vets in your area to see if any of their clients are looking for a dog like her? Or perhaps you can ask if any can at least keep her for a short time while you try to find her a good home. Many vets can be total "mushes" in cases like this. And I'm sure you have already contacted any local "no-kill" shelters. Sometimes they even have foster homes available. You can also ask if there are any Shepherd rescues that might take her. If you can find someone to temporarily keep her, most newspapers will let you run an ad for free if the pet is to be given away (sometimes calling it a stray can help).

Old 06-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
alan
When I found out she couldn't stay at my co-workers place I stopped by Selena's vet, they were closed. Saturday and Sunday are not good days for this. Unfortunately Monday is the last day, but I'll still try in the morning.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
NFS07
Hey Alan you helped me out so let me see if I can help you out. I'll talk to my mom and see if she will let me bring in another dog. Large dogs work better in our house and since she is a female she should get along fine withour dogs once Shadow meets her. That way you'll have her in a good place until you find a home.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
alan
Nicole can't take her, still needs a home.
She needs a good fence, I'm sure at first she's going to try and escape unless someone stays with her.
She will not tolerate a chain, I tested her, it wasn't very nice.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I'm having a bit of an issue about how disposable this great dog is to it's "owner". She has obviously been well taken care of, despite being so unloved and easily replaced by a machine. Would it be so dang awful to keep the dog on as a back-up system, just in case of a power failure or something? It's almost as bad as the people who dump their pets at the pound simply because it changed from a puppy or kitten into an adult dog or cat and isn't as cute anymore.
Susan, Have you ever sold a snake that you no longer "needed" (perhaps you no longer "needed" the hets, it was a poor breeder, or the fascination ran out)? How is buying a dog for a specific purpose and it not fulfilling that purpose (or being replaced by a "visual morph") then selling it any different?

Sorry I dont seen anything different than what many of us do on a daily basis.

And yes, I have a dog, and I love him, and I got him for a specific purpose (to be a companion) if he stops being that and stops doing his job I will get rid of him.

As a note: I did not say his purpose was a working dog, he is one (versatile gun dog, points, retrieves, and tracks wounded/dead animals), and does a great job at it, but his main role, the reason I got him was a companion. If I had got him just to work and hunt, and he stopped doing that or never did, he would be gone in an instant, same as if I got him as a stud and he couldnt do that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google