CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

ringneck snake

Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
wasuslitherin
ringneck snake

Okay I went for a walk yesterday and right in front of my house was a dead ring neck snake. (I know it was a ring neck cause robbiescornfield had fornd a few one day.) It was in the road so it had been ran over. It was gray, with orange/yellow belly and orange/yellow ring around his neck. It was less than a foot long and OH the Cutest thing! I just wish it had been alive.

The are Most likely other rignecks out here right? Also are ringnecks rare? I had never heard of them besides on the post from robbiescornfield

Also while I was on my walk,aroung the lake, was a shed about 3 foot long up against the bank. When I picked it up it ripped in half.

anyway just letting you all know.

CS

Old 05-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Kanchii
Aww too bad it was dead! They aren't rare, but BOY are they CUTE! Here's one I caught a little while ago! I let it go:

Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasuslitherin View Post

The are Most likely other rignecks out here right? Also are ringnecks rare? I had never heard of them besides on the post from robbiescornfield

CS
It depends on where you live?? What state are you in? There so many species of ring necks. In some locations they are a good size snake and in other parts of the country they are tiny.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
RobbiesCornField
That shed was probably NOT a ringneck, but possibly a rat snake, or a black racer (depending on where you are). But the DOR you described definitely sounds like one! They're such fun little snakes to catch and hold, but they're better to release.
It's very hard to get them started in captivity, and the mortality rate is very very high. That's why the only time you ever hear about them is usually when someone finds one, not buys.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
wasuslitherin
I am in Werrenton Mo. They are so freaking cute that was the first I ever saw one and it was SOOOO tiny and cute.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
vetusvates
In Louisiana, the Mississippi RNS's are kind of darker, kind of bluish. And I have only found one in my whole life.
And yep, small and cute definitely apply. And to my understanding they are the opposite of ubiquitously distributed. Are very common in certain locales, within those range maps, for example in Audubon's or Peterson's Field Guides.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google