CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Worm has lost his mind! Thoughts?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
jennrosefx
Worm has lost his mind! Thoughts?

As many of you know, I have a beloved Leucy Texas Ratsnake, Worm. I've had him since he was a wee hatchling, and he's about 3 years old now. He's always been an absolute ANGEL.

Heh. Well last week was feeding day. I took him out of his cage like normal and set him in his bin. He attacked his mouse with a ferocity I rarely see from him (he's usually a rather gentle feeder). When he was done, I reached for him and he went after me, mouth gaping.

Ooookay.

So I gave him a second mouse and let him chill for about 30 minutes after that. Went to pick him up... same deal. More or less wanted to eat my soul. After battling for 10 minutes, I grab my hook and hook him, to take him back to his cage. What proceeded was 20 minutes of me trying to get him in his cage and him trying to attack me. And when I fiiinally got him back in, he started sniffing HIMSELF and latched on to his OWN side. Oh dear...

Natural Selection... I has it!

So, he got a third mouse (he's a big boy, he can take it).

I would also like to point out that while he was all riled up, he also... exposed himself, and released what I can only suspect is sperm.

So yeah, this was all bizarre, but I chalked it up to it being warm, and perhaps waiting a tad too long between feedings this time around.

Mid week I changed out his water and cleaned his cage and he was TOTALLY fine with me. A sweetheart.

Then last night, I went to feed him again. Opened the cage and he shot out with an open mouth. Ug. So, this time I didn't want to deal and threw his food in the cage (I know, I know... shouldn't do that). Gave him a smallish rat this time around. He gobbled it up, and afterwards was shooting around the cage like CRAZY... completely insane, striking at EVERYTHING. This time as well, he exposed his hemipenes and released a whitish fluid.

So... I'm not sure what the deal is. Perhaps he just needs more food? Is it breeding time and this year he's finally large enough to care? Is it because it's been so warm out? (for the most part, I always keep the air in the house to 77 or so). Could it be a health issue? Another factor is the new kitten, but she' not really allowed in that room, and I always had a cat before, so I don't see why that should matter (but who knows). Or is he just coming of age and randomly, 3+ years down the line showing his true colors?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
waldo
My first corn was a male named Pandora. He was always a super sweet snake, the best I had ever seen. The summer he turned 3, he started acting similar. No quite as intense as worm but he definitely wasn't my sweet little baby boy anymore.
He did eventually settle down and since that summer he hasn't tried to bite me again but at times still gets agitated when I get in his cage. I use a hook nor to remove him and then he is ok.
Hope worm settles down for you, he is such a awsome snake. Maybe he needs a lady friend.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
stephen
Wierd

Sounds like he need a girlfriend!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Nanci
He sounds hungry to me. How much does he weigh and how often do you feed him?

Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Hypancistrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennrosefx View Post
So, he got a third mouse (he's a big boy, he can take it).

I would also like to point out that while he was all riled up, he also... exposed himself, and released what I can only suspect is sperm.

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Send him to us in '11 and we shall introduce him to the lovely Freyja, a gorgeous white lady similar to himself.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
The_Thunderer
I'd have to go with Nanci on this... he does sound hungry. My VBB acts the same way on feeding day. But any other time of the week she is quite gentle. As one of the original fans of Worm, I certainly hope that this is the case.

Curious, in the tussling did you get bit, or is it still more threat than anything.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
jennrosefx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
Send him to us in '11 and we shall introduce him to the lovely Freyja, a gorgeous white lady similar to himself.
*buys plane ticket*

Seriously though.... I wonder if there is anyone local to me who breeds luecys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
He sounds hungry to me. How much does he weigh and how often do you feed him?
Hmmm.... not sure his current weight, honestly. And it's been ages since I weighed him. He's well over 4 feet though... maybe closing in on 5. Honestly, his feedings probably go every 12 days or so (I'm a bad mom). I plan to make sure it's every 7 days on the button and bump up his feeding to rats. Over the course of the first "incident" he ended up downing 3 adult mice no problem... so yeah, part of the problem is VERY likely me still seeing him as my baby, and him wanting alot more food. That will be remedied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Thunderer View Post
I'd have to go with Nanci on this... he does sound hungry. My VBB acts the same way on feeding day. But any other time of the week she is quite gentle. As one of the original fans of Worm, I certainly hope that this is the case.

Curious, in the tussling did you get bit, or is it still more threat than anything.
Oh.. if I had let him, I would have been bit multiple times... I don't doubt it. It was the most aggression I think I've ever seen in a snake. LOL! But I'm too clever for him... didn't get bit once! Ha!

Regardless of if he loves me or not, he'll always be my baby. Hopefully more food and a potential visit with a lady friend (if I can find anyone local and interested) will calm his blood a bit... or maybe we'll just get to wrestle for the next 10 years or so. Either day... I'll love him just the same... hehehe... but I will miss my sweet little snake, I won't lie. Hopefully the other two won't get any ideas....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google