CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Posting everywhere: swollen head in leopard geckos???

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Cegninedorf
Unhappy Posting everywhere: swollen head in leopard geckos???

I know that this has nothing to do with corn snakes, and I have posted in 2 other leopard gecko forums, but I thought that maybe, just maybe, someone might be able to help me here...

I checked in on my girl Flaca tonight and while she was eating, I noticed her head -- it appears to be swollen. I thought that I was imagining things, so I took out my other girl, Rosa, and I touched her head...and compared it with Flaca's...Flaca's is definitely swollen-looking on the upper-sides (above the "ear" area). I did a Google search on swollen heads in leos, and one site stated that it could be a symptom of mouth rot. Does anyone have experience with this??? With either head swelling in leos or mouth rot? I will definitely be calling a reptile vet tomorrow.

You can see that on the left side of the photos, her head looks more swollen than the right side, and even that appears swollen, too. No, I don't see any drooling/excess saliva/cheese-like substances coming out of her mouth, none of the other symptoms that I read about, aside from a swollen mouth. She just shed, and she ate just about every bit of that, and she's been eating pretty regularly this week, too.

I will admit: I did touch her head, gently, and it feels very soft, like a bruise would feel: raised, and it seemed to be sore, because she didn't like it.

I thought at first that maybe she wacked her head somehow by tumbling when coming down off of her humid hide (which she likes to climb onto) or her cool hide (a large rock cave, bought at Petco, I believe). I just don't know...

Anyway, here are the photos...

Sorry for so many...I'm just really worried...and I know that it's hard to tell in the photos because it really is so subtle. If I didn't have Rosa with whom to compare Flaca, I'd think that I was imagining things...

Thanks in advance.