• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

can you post tips on thawing frozen mice

You might be able to do a search on here and read some ways folks do it. I have read that some just thaw the item at room temp and then feel it to make sure it is thawed all the way through. You don't want the guts to still be frozen when you feed it to the snake. Also, I place mine in a ziplock baggie and submerge it in warm water until it is completely thawed. Other folks I believe just submerge the mouse directly into warm water, but some snakes may not like them wet, others take em just fine.

I submerge the mice/ pinkies in hot water in plastic cups for 5-8 minutes dump the water and refill with hot water for a additional 5 minues . If they are used to dry/pre-killed and not frozen thawed they do seem to be a little finicky at first. The key is to be consistant with how you feed once they get on a feeding schedule.

I just leave the mice on newspaper onto of one of my fish tanks where it is warm for about 3 hours.

Alex

I put mine in little ziplock bags and soak it in a mug of hot water until it seems thoroughly warm and smooshy.

I put mine under hot running water until theyre done then i dab them dry with a kitchen paper towl and chuck them at hulky's head (he likes this game, trust me!)

leia said:
I put mine in little ziplock bags and soak it in a mug of hot water until it seems thoroughly warm and smooshy.

When I had snakes, I did the same thing. It worked perfectly, I did it twice though, so they'd be extra warm. Emu and Sessy really liked them like that ^_^

I've also heard that some folks defrost them in the microwave, but in the Corn Snake Manual, it referenced the possibility of them exploding, and I am not ready to deal with that yet! :eek1:

Ack, I've cooked bugs in the microwave before, those things make enough mess, I wont even imagine a mouse exploding..*shudder*

I tried the microwave on thaw and got an explosion anyway. I now thaw them in hot water by putting them in a cup and running hot water on them until they are very warm. I dry the excess water off with a paper towel, and in to orca they go! I've never had either of them refuse the mice thawed this way. Mine prefer them very warm (close to the normal temp of a live mouse which is about 100 degrees F) then luke warm.

LOL, I dont see why a lot of people put effort into thawing a mouse by using water ect. When you can just thaw the mouse out naturaly and simply with out all the hassle of water :shrugs: , even though it isn't a great hassle using the water method

Alex

I thaw mine in water so that the temperature of the mouse is higher. Normally their prey has a body temp of 100-101 degrees. My snakes have a better feed response with warmer prey than cool, and I figure that it will digest more readily if it's warmer. Also, I don't want to sit around for 3 hours waiting for my mouse to thaw to room temp. I usually hold my snake and hang out with her, throw the mouse in hot water, then put her in the feeding box and give her the mouse. She eats it, and gets put away in her viv. Easy as pie.

ok, but in during the 3 hours, you can go and do something else eg. do a bit of gardening lol ect.

Alex

Gardening???You have time for gardening. I work two jobs.....don't even have time to feed myself, say nothing about having 3 extra hours.

LOL, im only a 15 yearold kid, but I do a lot of work and in what free time I do have on weekends, I go outside and do something while the mice thaw

Alex

Last edited:
Tiffy said:
Ack, I've cooked bugs in the microwave before, those things make enough mess, I wont even imagine a mouse exploding..*shudder*

Just out of curiosity, what would you be doing cooking bugs in the microwave???? (Then again, I am sure most folks would wonder what we'd be doing storing frozen mice in the freezer) :grin01:

I also put mine in a cup of hot water untill warm and squishy, drain the water and drop him in. But my boy has never been a picky eater so find the best and safest way for your baby and you will be good to go. Just make sure he is not still frozen inside and not to hot either or you may have feeding problems after an incident of him biting into some thing that hurts him.

I wouldn't defrost my mice by just letting it get to room temparature. Little bacteria bombs. I don't think snakes eat dead prey in the wild so i doubt there built on dealing with all these bacteria. It can't be good for them.

If you microwave the mouse it'll become very dry. Expecially the paws and tail try out. That'll make it less attractive to the snake as well that the mouse will soak up moisture from the snake while it's digestion. Like eating a bag of crackers for us. You'll get thirsty.

I've never successfully microwaved a mouse. They all explode and I find that they don't heat evenly. One part will be extremely hot, while another still cold. Hot water does the trick in just a few minutes.

Back