CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #101
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
I am just tired of us getting accused look down upon for racks when our housing is actually larger. My cohab tank is 110 gals!! Not 20 or 30. My rake system has clear tubs that have multiple hides and things to climb on and they are individually house in a size that you cohab. Don't give me the crap saying your snakes have more room and more enriched environments. All of my snakes are housed in 20 to 55 gal size houses except babies who have 10 gal and you know what? When I run out of room I don't get more snakes. I don't cohab for my benefit.
Tell me about it!!! And as far as "oh well I am soooo experianced I can tell when MYYYYYY cohabbed snakes are stressed, IIIIIII know what I am doing"...when she has 2 crammed together boas that are CLEARLY stressed and giving off warning signs right and left. Sorry to veer off topic, but it is all the same thing really.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #102
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Those are the two biggest points!

The space my adults have in a rack system is larger than to cohab vivs I've seen. Plus, if I don't have space to house them properly, I don't get another animal. Period.

I NOT will jam animals into far to small cages with other animals just so I can own more.

Don't even get me started on keeping two different species together. That is pinnacle of ridiculous. No one with a bit of sense would keep reptiles from two totally different habitats together. You are not giving either species what it needs. Sure they can live like that for a while, but will start to see a decline in long term health and life span. I have zero respect for anyone who does that.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #103
kells
Im shure that no one on this forum keep diferent species in the same enclosure , i was talking about lady who raised my corns, something like that is more than stupid, they need diferent microclimate conditions.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #104
SnakeAround
I told that I decided to sell a boa, so I do as I say. If you read well, I am not against racks in general, but against drawers compared to co-habbing. If a tub is large enough for climbing stuff and has enough space for some climbing stuff, excellent! I never gave you crap Christen. Still, I do think that experience with co-habbing, adds to the discussion. Why do people who do not co-hab tend to think that their theory on co-habbing being bad over rules the years of experience with it that people have who do co-hab? If practice shows that most corns do well, why is that ignored? I know that some corns seem to do better in tubs than in vivs, maybe some would do better in vivs but are still kept in tubs... Or even in drawers. We have only practice to see what works, we cannot ask the snakes so we can only monitore their behavior and health. Yet when it comes to co-habbing, signs that a snake is doing well don't matter.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #105
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
I told that I decided to sell a boa, so I do as I say. If you read well, I am not against racks in general, but against drawers compared to co-habbing. If a tub is large enough for climbing stuff and has enough space for some climbing stuff, excellent! I never gave you crap Christen. Still, I do think that experience with co-habbing, adds to the discussion. Why do people who do not co-hab tend to think that their theory on co-habbing being bad over rules the years of experience with it that people have who do co-hab? If practice shows that most corns do well, why is that ignored? I know that some corns seem to do better in tubs than in vivs, maybe some would do better in vivs but are still kept in tubs... Or even in drawers. We have only practice to see what works, we cannot ask the snakes so we can only monitore their behavior and health. Yet when it comes to co-habbing, signs that a snake is doing well don't matter.
Sorry Barbara, the FACTS are that when snakes are found in the wild, they are ALONE. Because that is how they prefer to live.

You stated that you co hab so that you can keep more snakes. You put your own selfish desires over the welfare of your animals.

You couldn't even see obvious warning signs with those boas so how in the world can you tell whether or not your other cohabbed snakes are doing well?????

Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #106
jessicashallperish
Sharing my story....

i got two baby corns, brothers in trade for my nile monitor. i only had one open tank which was a 20 long until i could go out and buy another that weekend. (they were together for approx 3 days, muuuuch too long IMO) these two snakes were MEAN. not just normal baby mean, they were strike at each other and their reflections mean. as soon as i seperated them, a week later they were tame as sleeping puppies.. that is the only time i have cohabbed and THE ONLY time i WILL EVER cohab unless im breeding. every snake has it's own tub, its own choice of multiple hides etc etc.. i think it is aweful to cohab.. unless there is ample room for EACH snake... like 2 adults in a 180 gallon tank.. that is plenty IMO

just throwing my two cents in.. idk who in their right mind would put balls and corns together SMH. i have nagged at people for having retics and burms together and i will nag at people who keep two different types of frogs together. it is soo stressful and dangerous!. GAH!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #107
Outcast
The only time I would ever cohab adult snakes is if I have a 1000 gal stock tank, and it is a dire emergency. Like the house it on fire and I need to get them out of it in a hurry and I can't get all of the tanks out.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #108
starsevol
Quote:
Ok so you DECIDED to sell one of those boas. Have you actually sold it?? Are they at least seperate??
You started that thread because you did not know the sex of the snakes and didn't want them to breed, COMPLETELY oblivious to the fact that they were flashing HUGE danger signals and completey CLUELESS to the fact that the cage they were jammed in was TOO DAMN SMALL!!!!!!!!!! That was considered cruelty by more than just me.....

Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #109
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
The only time I would ever cohab adult snakes is if I have a 1000 gal stock tank, and it is a dire emergency. Like the house it on fire and I need to get them out of it in a hurry and I can't get all of the tanks out.
I <3 you a little bit now, Aaron...

I cohab breeding pairs for 30 minutes every three days.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #110
Chip
Quote:
Yet when it comes to co-habbing, signs that a snake is doing well don't matter.
Signs they are doing well?!? If they aren't visibly doing poorly, they are doing "well!" And by the time they are visibly doing poorly, they are and have been suffering. I am all about experimenting, and will try lots of things: extra hot hot spots, alternative foods, longer brumations, etc. But I can see no benefit what so ever to keeping solitary animals in one enclosure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google