• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Daytona 2009

Maybe this could be the beginning of something that would eventually evolve into an annual cornsnake contest / awards / meeting that could be loosely tied to the ACR, CS, and any other group or forum with a lot of participation.

Not trying to rush us all into anything prematurely, just thinking about the possibilities. I would like to see our hobby a little more mainstream, like other cat and dog breeds, etc. The ACR is the first step, in my opinion. Someday, a meeting with talks, awards, or contests, etc, could go hand in hand with that goal.

Great idea! I'd love to see that too!

I still like the idea of presentations of some sort as you can only talk to so many people at your dinner table. This way we could chat with others and ask questions about the projects. Or....maybe instead of individual presentations we could do a panel-type thing? A group of bigger breeders and a Q & A session?

Yes, the logistics of figuring it out and making it work out could be difficult, especially for the first few years. What we need is somebody who lives in Florida, preferably not a vendor (too crazy of a time for vendors to take on more tasks), and who has time and energy to devote to organizing, picking up stuff, etc. Or maybe a couple of people. For example, I could pick up the non-perishable stuff a week or two before the expo. Then somebody else could pick up the perishable food the day we need it.

It could be difficult figuring out how much to order and how many people are coming. Maybe it would help to offer a price ahead of time (enough to cover everything, plus a little extra) and then make the price considerably higher if you don't reserve and pay a couple of weeks before the show. Then, whatever extra money is leftover could go to pre-pay the food for the next year. Maybe we could try to always carry over a slight surplus to the next year to make it easier. It should be a relatively small amount of money to worry about accounting problems, though. And maybe whoever does the organizing and picking everything up, could maybe keep the leftover food for their effort, since they will probably be relatively local, anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, I had in mind those big party trays. Plus we could get wings, maybe hamburgers or sub sandwiches, or whatever. An indoor picnic / beach party would be the idea.

I know Publix does subs, and I think they have big party subs, too!

Yes, the logistics of figuring it out and making it work out could be difficult, especially for the first few years. What we need is somebody who lives in Florida, preferably not a vendor (too crazy of a time for vendors to take on more tasks), and who has time and energy to devote to organizing, picking up stuff, etc. Or maybe a couple of people. For example, I could pick up the non-perishable stuff a week or two before the expo. Then somebody else could pick up the perishable food the day we need it.

It could be difficult figuring out how much to order and how many people are coming. Maybe it would help to offer a price ahead of time (enough to cover everything, plus a little extra) and then make the price considerably higher if you don't reserve and pay a couple of weeks before the show. Then, whatever extra money is leftover could go to pre-pay the food for the next year. Maybe we could try to always carry over a slight surplus to the next year to make it easier. It should be a relatively small amount of money to worry about accounting problems, though. And maybe whoever does the organizing and picking everything up, could maybe keep the leftover food for their effort, since they will probably be relatively local, anyway.

Gee, I think Miss Kathy is talking about me!

If this is an idea that sounds like a good plan, if Katie can organize the meeting room, I'll try my hardest to make sure the food is ready.

Take a look in here and see if the deli platters and custom sandwiches look like a good idea.

For beverages, I'm thinking we could do 2-liter sodas from Sams club/Wal-Mart ($0.67 for a 2-liter of generic soda at Wal-Mart) and then a water cooler or something like that for people who would prefer water instead. Or maybe a couple coolers. One with lemonade or something like that and the other with water. With the soda companies jacking the prices up and taking away the number of cans per case, the 2-liters just seem like a more economically sound choice.

"Gee, I think Miss Kathy is talking about me!"

Wow - you are SO smart, lol! I am not sure if anyone else lives as close as you do, though.

Maybe this could actually work! Seems like we talk about t shirts and dinner each year, but the generic buffet is all we have managed so far, although it sure has been great fun! But maybe it is now time to go to the next level.

i'm getting so excited to go and its still months away!!

i don't know which hotel i'm staying at i'll have to ask Eddie(Goldtop on here) what the name of the hotel is. as i'm going to his place first cause its cheaper and then riding down to daytona with him and be staying i a room at the hotel he is...Scott(Saffleur(sp?)) gave me the thin for the hotel so i don't know if it the same one as Miss Katie is talking about

i'm okay with the subs/whater ever in a meeting room so we could chat....i would just like to meet everyone i'm not picky about food

As far as the t-shirts go, I can talk to my printer and see how much they would cost me here. Some times us little towns are a little bit cheaper than the big cities. Any body object?

As far as the t-shirts go, I can talk to my printer and see how much they would cost me here. Some times us little towns are a little bit cheaper than the big cities. Any body object?

We were looking at Cafepress so everyone could go online and order their own. They also offer different tshirts (regular tshirt, tank tops, ladies fitted shirts) etc that we could offer all with the same design.

i don't know which hotel i'm staying at i'll have to ask Eddie(Goldtop on here) what the name of the hotel is. as i'm going to his place first cause its cheaper and then riding down to daytona with him and be staying i a room at the hotel he is...Scott(Saffleur(sp?)) gave me the thin for the hotel so i don't know if it the same one as Miss Katie is talking about

Please do let them know about the deal we have going with the Homewood as well. The more the merrier! And the rates are very good for a really nice hotel in Daytona. I know a lot of people stay at the Hilton right across the street from the convention center - but the rates are double what I can get at the Homewood.

I would guess that they can probably be printed more cheaply at a "regular" printer. But then you always have a min. order. With Cafe, I understand they print on demand. Maybe if we start with Cafe, eventually we will have enough orders of new designs to look into "regular" printing, who knows?

I personally have never ordered from Cafepress but in talking to people who have they appear to have good quality.

Just from the prospective shirts we were looking at - prices ranged anywhere from about $9 per shirt to $25 per shirt (depending on what each individual wanted to order).

I kinda like the idea that they offer different types of tshirts, not just one standard cut/fit that people can choose from.

Becky - if you want to check prices with your printer - please do! It certainly doesn't hurt to cost compare and see where/how we can get the best deal.

"Gee, I think Miss Kathy is talking about me!"

Wow - you are SO smart, lol! I am not sure if anyone else lives as close as you do, though.

Maybe this could actually work! Seems like we talk about t shirts and dinner each year, but the generic buffet is all we have managed so far, although it sure has been great fun! But maybe it is now time to go to the next level.

I do have my moments. :D And I do have the advantage of living right here, so I can talk to managers and what not in person.

So what's everyone's opinions on the platters and subs?

Or, instead of the pre-made subs, we could get a bunch of hoagies and let everyone make their own subs with the stuff from the platters!

I'm sure your right about people wanting different kinds of shirts. Unfortunately, this is a small company (literally a mom and pop place) and most likely would only be able to offer just one type of shirt. I can still call and ask but I'm sure what you guys are on a better tract with the other place.

I do have my moments. :D And I do have the advantage of living right here, so I can talk to managers and what not in person.

So what's everyone's opinions on the platters and subs?

Or, instead of the pre-made subs, we could get a bunch of hoagies and let everyone make their own subs with the stuff from the platters!

Personally I think getting trays of deli cuts and rolls/bread makes more sense so everyone can make what they prefer. Some people may not like what we would decide on for subs or whatnot.
I think we should also offer some kind of veggie option for any non-meat eaters. Probably should have chips and maybe some kind of potato salad too?

"...we could get a bunch of hoagies and let everyone make their own subs with the stuff from the platters! "

That would be GREAT! There is always such a variety of tastes that nothing beats building your own! We could have variety platters so that each person could build a great sandwich or salad, as they desire. Add some kind of simple side dishes, like beans and chips, maybe? And possibly a simple dessert of some sort?

Although we will be hungry after a day of working or shopping, I think that as long as there is something there that is palatable, with some choice available, most people will be there more for the company than for a fancy dinner.

Seems like this type of dinner should be reasonably priced, if the meeting room is free or cheap.

Remind the hotel that if this is successful, it is likely to grow a lot over the next few years.

So what I'm looking at right now on the Publix "menu" would be a large "All American" meat and cheese platter (26-30 servings for $59.99). For salads, they have large make your own salad platters, and I'm thinking maybe a medium Cobb platter ($39.99) and a medium "Scrumptious salad platter" that has southern style potato salad, macaroni salad, ham salad, shredded slaw, tuna salad and chicken tarragon salad ($28.99). Or maybe just a large "Scrumptious" platter ($34.99). :shrugs: Either way, we're looking at over $100 for the food.

So what I'm looking at right now on the Publix "menu" would be a large "All American" meat and cheese platter (26-30 servings for $59.99). For salads, they have large make your own salad platters, and I'm thinking maybe a medium Cobb platter ($39.99) and a medium "Scrumptious salad platter" that has southern style potato salad, macaroni salad, ham salad, shredded slaw, tuna salad and chicken tarragon salad ($28.99). Or maybe just a large "Scrumptious" platter ($34.99). :shrugs: Either way, we're looking at over $100 for the food.

And that is only if we don't go over 30 people or have anyone with an extremely large appetite. At $100 for 30 people - that is less than $4 a person. My opinion is I think we would need more food than that - we probably had close to/if not over 40 people altogether last year. Keep in mind that some members bring spouses and children too. But even if we doubled that order - it would still only run about $8 a person which I think is fantastic.

Does Sam's Club do anything similar with platters that the prices might be any lower?

Then we need to figure out how we do this - do we somehow charge people beforehand, or does one (or a few) of us pay for it upfront and recoup the costs when people arrive for dinner?

And that is only if we don't go over 30 people or have anyone with an extremely large appetite. At $100 for 30 people - that is less than $4 a person. My opinion is I think we would need more food than that - we probably had close to/if not over 40 people altogether last year. Keep in mind that some members bring spouses and children too. But even if we doubled that order - it would still only run about $8 a person which I think is fantastic.

Does Sam's Club do anything similar with platters that the prices might be any lower?

Then we need to figure out how we do this - do we somehow charge people beforehand, or does one (or a few) of us pay for it upfront and recoup the costs when people arrive for dinner?

I can check at Sam's. I have a business membership, so I can go in early in the morning before everyone's run them ragged and ask them about it.

What did you think of the salad choices? Just one? Or both? Or something else entirely? I'm just trying to get an idea of what I need to ask about/for.

Make sure they include hard boiled eggs and lots of veggies. Then the non-meat eaters who do eat eggs can make a great salad. We should have the mixed, dark greens instead of watery iceberg lettuce. Good for sandwiches or salads. And of course, a couple of salad dressings, along with the mustard, ketchup, etc.

Maybe we should all bring a bottle of our favorite condiment or dressing, and then take the leftover home with us? That would save buying a bunch of bottles that won't get used up. Would that be worthwhile, or too much trouble?

Back