• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I Need Canon Rebel XT tips and pointers

magick-bears

Thanks to the DOR I know have a new Canon Rebel XT with the 18-55mm EF-S Lens. This is a huge step up from my Olympus C-4000 point and shoot. Though I have used SLR's for film I am sure there is going to be a learning curve.

I would love to hear from those of you that are shooting with the XT. Do you have any tips on settings? Also would love to know what lenses you are shooting with. From what I have read the kit lens is not that good and I will need to purchase some better quality lenses down the road.

Thanks,
~Jeff C.

Return it and get a Nikon! :grin01:

As far as settings, Aperature priority mode and crank it up, somewhere in the mid teens usually works well. Make sure you have a lot of light.

Joejr14 said:
Return it and get a Nikon! :grin01:

Well Joe, even if I wanted to I am unable to. The DOR is paying for it because it is the digital SLR that my Digital Photography professor recomends.

As far as settings, Aperature priority mode and crank it up, somewhere in the mid teens usually works well. Make sure you have a lot of light.

So a deep depth of field and lots of light to accommodate the aperture setting. Got it :) Though I have to admit lighting has always been a problem for me.

Thanks,
~Jeff C.

I use the Canon 20D and have the following lens'...

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

I'll be getting my adult corn in the next couple of weeks. Going to a reptile show on the 17th outside of Chicago.

Paul

magick-bears said:
Well Joe, even if I wanted to I am unable to. The DOR is paying for it because it is the digital SLR that my Digital Photography professor recomends.

So a deep depth of field and lots of light to accommodate the aperture setting. Got it :) Though I have to admit lighting has always been a problem for me.

Thanks,
~Jeff C.
you dont need a HUGE depth of field...the more depth of field...the longer shutter speed you'll need

oh and NEVER trade in your canon...it blows NIKON away...get a decent lense though :)

psbas said:
I use the Canon 20D and have the following lens'...

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

I'll be getting my adult corn in the next couple of weeks. Going to a reptile show on the 17th outside of Chicago.

Paul
ah man those are some nice lenses!!!! :eek1:

Canon blows Nikon away? I don't think so.

And when shooting snakes, I personally have a very high aperture (F20 or so) and a shutter speed of 1/250. That's why I'm able to capture all those tongue shots so clearly and that's why the SB-600 is an absolute necessity.

It´s ridiculous to argue about nikon or canon in an cornsnakeforum - using aperture over F20 also shows that you are not really know about what you talk.

pewter said:
It´s ridiculous to argue about nikon or canon in an cornsnakeforum - using aperture over F20 also shows that you are not really know about what you talk.

LoL, what?

Maybe someone should tell me exactly what the name of this subforum is. Oh wait, it's "Photography Techniques and Equipment." I guess the actual camera doesn't count as equipment, though. Silly me.

And I use that high of an aperture because I want great depth of field---I want the whole snake to be in focus, just not the head. If I just wanted the head in focus, I'd shoot with an F stop of 5.6. But thanks for your 'expert' opinion on the matter. :rolleyes:

ok, in other words.
it´s like when two 3 years old children talk about mercedes versus bmw!

and if you like depth of field - buy a point and shoot cam. for you this might be probably the best way.

just another expert opinion ...

pewter said:
ok, in other words.

and if you like depth of field - buy a point and shoot cam. for you this might be probably the best way.

This is comical. Funny how you're criticizing the fact that I use a high F stop, yet everyone seems to think I have good photos. Guess Rich Z doesn't know what he's doing either, since he has also said lots of light with a small aperture (high f stop) when photographing snakes.

In any event, I'm done arguing with you about this. My advice is to use a high F stop and lots of light when taking pictures of your snakes. If you think that's incorrect, then that's great, but I'm not going to waste my time with it.

pewter said:
ok, in other words.

Hello Mr. World Known Photo Expert, why don't you share some tips with us "Cornsnake" guys. :shrugs:

Fenderplayer108 said:
Hello Mr. World Known Photo Expert, why don't you share some tips with us "Cornsnake" guys. :shrugs:

well, it seems to me that no one wanted my last tip
but here is another one.
if your parents or friends (or forum buddys) say you make the best pic´s - it doesn´t mean that you make good pic´s. a stranger who knew about what he is talking must say that!

oh and for those who did want to waste their time:
look at this - mtf resolution:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_60_28/index.htm
and this is not just a canon problem :santa:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_60_28/index.htm

Joejr14 said:
... As far as settings, Aperature priority mode and crank it up, somewhere in the mid teens usually works well. Make sure you have a lot of light.

Joe, I'm fiddling with aperature priority (I read the manual! :) ). What ISO are you using?

I'm trying to compensate for bad lighting and fast snakes by using 800 atm, but I'm not wild about the graininess. I'd like to crank the ISO down and my aperture up, so I'm also interested in what you're doing with lighting.

Actually, the ISO question and lighting set-ups are for anyone to respond. Just please don't drag me into a "brand-X is better than brand-Y" debate because I have what I have and I'm not planning to go buy another camera.

Thanks!

I haven't touched the ISO settings, so I believe mine is set at factory default of 100. I'm able to get away with a small aperture and high shutter speed because I have an external hot shoe flash. It's an absolute must when shooting snakes.

playing with the iso just makes sense if you are outside without a tripod and you want to shoot without a flash.

and don´t worry, an external flash isn´t a must!
It´s nice to have not more.

pewter said:
and useless for cornsnake pictures :crazy02:

I'm assuming your talking about my lens that I listed. Why would you say that? Let's see a list of what you're using. And then we'll talk useless. I haven't seen one pic from you in this thread yet, but yet you can criticize everyone else for settings they use. If you're so good, share some knowledge about what you know instead of posting useless links to MTF charts. Post a few pics and post settings and let someone learn from you, if you know what you're talking about.

psbas said:
I'm assuming your talking about my lens that I listed. Why would you say that?
first your lenses are all big, heavy and expensiv
second, at least the 70-200 and the 100-400 have a big focus distance!
useless to contol the snake while standing 6 feet away.
so you could make probably some good pic´s with a 24-70 but I would use a smaller cheaper one that better fits to what I need!

psbas said:
Let's see a list of what you're using.
I have/had a

ef 100-400
ef 180
ef 100
mpe 65
ef-s 60
ef 24-105
ef 28-105
tokina 10-17

but I just use the 60er with internal flash :santa:

psbas said:
I haven't seen one pic from you in this thread yet
why? can i just know of what i talk if I post a pic? did anyone else posted a pic here?
I just read more or less helpfull tips.

psbas said:
If you're so good, share some knowledge about what you know.
but thats what I did!

psbas said:
instead of posting useless links to MTF charts.

that wasn´t useless, that was the reason why you should not use high f stop.

Back