• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Importance" of rep?!?

Or disappear. Remember when it was such a big deal when I closed in on Roy Munson in number of posts?? Come on, Dean, you can catch up!!! I MISS you!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Looks like a number of people have bypassed him lately :) He does need to take back his crown. Me, I'm suprise that I'm so high with the number of times that I've disappeared due to something else going on in my life. I'm learning about balancing. :)

I hated the rep system when it was first implemented. There were far fewer members, and there were a few cliques that were "repping" each other over and over. It probably even had a little to do with my 4 year sabbatical! There were much bigger things, including a very popular member (actually three!) not paying me for snakes; and corns making up a smaller and smaller part of my collection over time.

These days, I *mostly* like it. It's flawed, sure. There's no reason I should be in the realm of Kathy Love's "rep" on a cornsnake forum, but people get rep for helping... or making a solid point or good joke! It's sheer popularity, but people are usually popular, even in an "e-community" for a reason. I like to see the comment field in my rep, some of the most I have gotten were from threads about culling and such where most members vehemently disagreed with me. I mostly like it because I can rep others who had a fresh outlook on an issue. Or made me really laugh.

I think the rep system is abused a bit, but in a good way. To me, the best thing about gaining rep points is that the higher my points, the more points I am able to give to others. I actually do the math when I give points to other people, and it makes me smile to watch their points increase. Like I said, it's probably abusive, but I think there are so many awesome people here who really go out of their way to be kind, humorous, empathetic, witty and just generally fun that I love repping them. To me, a day without laughter just plain bites. If you make me laugh, you're gonna get rep points from me.

And DYK that I had to rep Alan last night because one of his posts made me actually SNORT? :laugh:

Please keep use of DYK's to the appropriate thread. (j/k, garden-tooling for rep)

Well, this is a high volume place.
For example, I haven't been here that long, I joined on 10-27-2008.
184 People joined since then, and I'm not counting my member number and subtracting from the last member joined number.
I mean 184 people joined since then that weren't banned as spammers, spambots, etc.
I never realized how many have come and gone.
For this reason alone, I'd say the rep system is a good way of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Like I said, it's probably abusive, but I think there are so many awesome people here who really go out of their way to be kind, humorous, empathetic, witty and just generally fun that I love repping them.
Exactly, and what's wrong with that in the rep system?!! :) Communication and "respectful discussion" are all about that!

I had to rep Alan last night because one of his posts made me actually SNORT?
One of my long standing DAILY goals is to make someone snort. Nothing like a good snort to really let you know you made someone laugh! (Even better is getting them to pee a little!! :eek1: )

I think Vinman crashed the system. Ba da dummmm- pshhh! <another joke>
He darn near tried to crash the frivolous recent friend system too!!
runawayfast.gif

D80

Last edited:
He sold his sense of humor to europe so his belly laughs wouldn't be under cut here.

OMG That was Hilarious... I snorted... To be honest i never thought to look that way in the members list.. Then i searched by join date. I'm on page 21 and i thought i have been here a while.. I guess not now...

Last edited:
Actually, I was thinking I need to adjust the formula for determining the repuration "power" value. That number has gotten so high that it is losing any meaning for many members. And, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the programmers didn't foresee such large numbers and eventually it will crash the system when a memory variable overflows it's boundaries.

Not saying I will get around to this anytime soon, but it is something I believe I need to do.

Besides, I wonder how many lines those green blocks will wrap around to?

They seem to have stopped at 11 blocks . . . and they stopped quite early if memory serves.

D80

Yeah, that's what worries me. That number has already exceeded the number that the developers thought anyone would accumulate. I've been bitten more than once by developers underestimating the potential use of a value in their coding. That's all I would need... have the database corrupted from an overflowing variable field in one of the tables. :bang:

I got to many blocks early on and then they stopped increasing numbers. I guess they are just "for show" and not really a scale... :shrugs:

There are two values involved in that reputation display. (1) The number displays the amount of "power" you have in the reputation you give someone else. The green bars are an indication of the number of reputation points YOU have gotten from other members. And yes, they are somewhat tied together in that the more points you have, the more your power is incremented. The forumula also includes the number posts you have made and the amount of time you have been a member here. I think it is easy to see why the numbers have gotten so outrageously high. It's a snowball effect, which does worry me. I guess I just don't trust most programmers.... Not after working with a bunch of them..... :nope:

I actually think it is an honer when I am reped by someone. Other than that it doesnt mean too much to me but it is always nice to know when someone thinks something positive about you :)

I'm not at all surprised Nanci came out top of the rep parade, that's just who I'd have put my money on in a wager!

Back