CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Looking for a rainbow of colors

Old 07-20-2004, 06:04 AM   #1
magick-bears
Looking for a rainbow of colors

I am posting this here as I know many of you have colored mice in your feeder projects. As I have not had much luck on the mice forums I post to I tought I would give it a try here.

We raise and breed show/English type mice. We have strong type. Unfortunately there are not that many colors/varieties available. For that reason we have decided to start crossing in American/Fancy mice to get some new color genes to work with.

The first color gene that we are looking for is the lethal yellow (A^y) gene. We are looking for Reds, Fawns, Golds, Marten Sables, and Sables. All of which are A^y genes.

Next we are looking for the c^h gene. This is found in Himalayans, Siamese, and Sables.

The last gene we are looking for is the c^ch gene. This is found in Chinchillas, Silver Agoutis, and any Fox variety (except for Coffee Fox).

If you have any of these colors/varieties and are in the Southern California area please let us know. The raising and showing of mice is a family project that our entire family enjoys.

Thanks,
Jeff C.

Old 07-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Siva
I have all they types you are looking for but unfortunately i don't live close enough however i may be able to hook you up with a breeder in CA but i'm not sure how many of what you are looking for she has..e-mail me and i'll see if i can get her contact info for you.

also have you been able to get on the rodentfancy forums? i am amy on there and for some reason it says that i can't access the site so i have not been able to reply there

Old 08-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
Sasheena
If you ever want to take a trip to the Phoenix area (we're 35 miles WEST of Phoenix) I have tons of colors. I occassionally get some real GIANT mice (closer to English in type) and I would LOVE to have a little bit of English stock to improve my own. You can get an idea of the types of colors I have by looking at my web page: http://www.geocities.com/mousedomousery. I have American Brindle and also lethal yellow and recessive yellow. I have one giantess of a mouse who is ready to pop anyday.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:17 PM   #4
magick-bears
Hey Sasheena

I love your site. I am actualy very active on your MARgenetics group on Yahoo. I would love to get some dominate/lethal yellows and some brindle from you. Unfortunatly I can't drive do to disabilities so there is not to much of a chance of me getting to Phoenix We just got a couple of recessive yellow girls. I just wish I could find more information on them. If you want to see some of our mice feel free to check out our web site at http://the-rodent-express.com I am in the proccess of adding some more pics to it.

Thanks,
Jeff C.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:24 PM   #5
Sasheena
Well if you ever have any friends or others who are going to be driving through Phoenix, we're only four miles south of interstate 10 and we live right on the exit road, so I wouldn't mind something then. I don't keep much records especially not through the spring and summer, then I'm only hoping to have enough mice and rats produced to feed all my snakes. Then in the fall and winter I start getting very selective because all the adult snakes are sleeping and the little ones even get a small nap as I renew and refresh. I usually drop down to only project mice during the winter, and then use their offspring to start up massive breeding in the spring.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
magick-bears
I will definatly keep you in mind if I hear of anyone going that way. I would love to get some more information on the recessive yellow but I can't seem to find anything on them. We just got 2 very nice Agouti recessive yellow girls from a breeder up near LA. I'll probably put up a post on them over on MARgenetics Group.

Jeff C.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:03 PM   #7
Sasheena
I'm not sure what you mean by "Agouti recessive yellows"... by this you mean they are agouti mice that are heterozygous for the recessive yellow? Or you mean to say you have yellowish agouti mice and were told it was the recessive yellow trait?

I remember when I first got Recessive Yellow mice... it all stems from this one mouse I got way back in 2002 in the spring. I saw it in a petstore, a satin black and tan banded mouse. Very pretty, but I didn't need more mice with any of those demonstrated traits... I had banded, I had tan, and I had satin. BUT, I visited the petstore about four times over a two month period and admired the male mouse frequently, so eventually I bought him. I named him Torpedo. He turned out to be the source of a TON of recessive genes... He carried blue, recessive yellow, siamese, long haired, curly haired, brown, and a few other genes. He was a true repository of all sorts of genes. I had some of his pure black offspring paired up with some other unrelated black banded mice. I was going through and cleaning cages and admiring offspring when suddenly a little light went off in my head.... there was a yellow baby amongst all the black babies. I realized then that I had to have the recessive yellow gene. I bred for the trait and now get some gorgeous recessive yellow mice. I added in the pink eyed gene, which doesn't change the coat color except for making it slightly clearer. It is a beautiful combination and I prefer it highly over the lethal yellow varieties. Right now I have one mouse that is a pink eyed recessive yellow boy... with a curly pig-like tail. I've named him Piggy

Old 08-07-2004, 11:28 PM   #8
magick-bears
Yes by Agouti Recessive Yellows, the breeded called them "Orange type Sables", I mean Agouti mice that are homozygous for the recessive yellow (A*/CC/PP/ee). I sould have pics of them up on my does page by tomorrow. I'll post on MARgenetics when I have the pics up.

Jeff C.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google