CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Snakey is acting weird...

Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
T-SULLI
Snakey is acting weird...

Hello again!

I did some searches but only found SOME of the info I was looking for. So here it is...

Some of you may remember that Snakey, my female corn had some issues with eggs last year. She had one stuck for like 3 or 4 months but we were finally able to pass it! Well she is throwing me another curve ball now... She has been VERY active lately. I honestly have never seen her this active in the 14 years that I have owned her... She is up all day and all night slithering laps around her enclosure. My first assumption would be that it's the season for finding new boyfriends, but she was not put through brumation. All temperatures and lights have stayed the same for her entire life. I also felt her belly to make sure there weren't any eggs in there but its too early for that anyway... Another assumption would be that she is really hungry. Well that can't be the case because her feeding schedule has been the same for her whole life as well... Although she actually has just started to eat a little less than normal but still within what would be considered acceptable. Now that I think about it though, I would say that her feeding has been kinda lazy lately. She hates frozen thawed so I feed her live. She has just been very slow and lazy in how she stalks/strikes. It's almost like she really wants to get some pizza from the fridge but is too lazy to get off the couch to get it...

So to summarize... Not hungry and feeding fine but a bit lazy about it, no brumation so shouldn't be looking for boyfriends and has never done so in her entire life, and has been getting plenty of water so she's not dehydrated...

I may be paranoid but after owning her for 14 years and getting to know her pretty well, it feels like something is wrong. She has never behaved like this before and as she gets older I become more worried about her. Any input would be greatly appreciated guys!

Old 03-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
Twolunger
I was thinking someone would reply with their thoughts, but I'll jump in with mine. A snake doesn't necessarily need brumation to cycle for breeding. However, I don't think her actions, bordering on restlessness, are caused by looking for a mate. If I were you I would have her feces sample analyzed by your veterinarian. It is possible that she has internal parasites, otherwise known as worms, that are causing discomfort and affecting her appetite. Eliminate that possibility and you can look elsewhere for the cause.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
T-SULLI
Hadn't considered that... Good idea thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google