• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

And baby makes three!

A free box of chicken backs from my friend Cathy's visit to the butcher!

Attachments

• 001 (500x375).jpg
    001 (500x375).jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 003 (500x368).jpg
    003 (500x368).jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 011 (500x375).jpg
    011 (500x375).jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 019 (500x375).jpg
    019 (500x375).jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 57
So glad that everyone is recovering from their bee stings!

That always scares me; I have one terrier that goes nuts over bugs. He can catch flies out of the air. I have to watch him carefully, as he will swallow a bee if he can. Always concerned about anaphylactic shock, and if I could get him to the vet in time.

Kathy

Flash has conquered the sofa!
He's got (deserved) telling off from both Rosie and Bertie over the last couple of days over using his teeth too eagerly on their ears and noses. So whilst they are both being really tolerant of him, they are setting boundaries and enforcing them. As the effect is for Flash to play with a little more restraint, Bertie especially is much more relaxed and lets him jump all over him as long as he inhibits his bite.
I've booked a session with my trainer so he can assess Flash and check how we're doing. It's easy to let good habits slip into your routines so it'll be great to have his input.

Attachments

• 002 (500x375).jpg
    002 (500x375).jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 004 (500x375).jpg
    004 (500x375).jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 006 (500x375).jpg
    006 (500x375).jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 012 (500x375).jpg
    012 (500x375).jpg
    147 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Nanci. Of course I'm biased, but I think he's lovely! He has learnt from Bertie that if he sits quietly in the kitchen while I'm busy in there, not pestering, he gets treats. So waiting for his bottom to just about hit the floor, he's learnt the command 'sit' in 2 days flat. I can't stand dogs that jump up all over you so I was going to use the Kiko pups method to get all four paws on the floor for greetings but he's picked it up from copying the other dogs anyway!
The weather isn't looking good for the trainer coming out tomorrow. Last year he kept cancelling when it rained, claiming dogs don't like going out in bad weather. Which led to his nickname of 'fair weather Trevor'! So if it rains heavily tomorrow as the weather reports are predicting I won't be surprised if he cancels.

That trainer sounds a bit of a wuss imo ;) I have never known one of our dogs not want to go out because it's raining! Things being blown off edge of a cliff? Still wants to go out! Can't get to the beach because of how much water is blocking the road on the way down? Still wants to go to the beach! Can't open the front door because of how strong the wind is blowing? Looks at you in disgust and disappointment... then stares out the window. Those dogs refused to take no for an answer - we got blocked in for numerous weather related reasons and not once did those reasons make the dogs not want out!

I have a dog that doesn't like to go out when it rains...the Queen HATES to get any part of her wet and would stay under the covers by a fireplace if she had a choice during the winter. If she does come out, she wants her dog coat on. My other ridgeback could care less and hates the coat but I still put it on her since she'll stand there shivering from cold.....It depends upon how much rain was falling as to whether or not I'd go train a dog. Often the owner doesn't want to work in the rain....some dogs are harder to work with in the rain, since the wet brings out every scent on the planet creating distractions. If the dog is advanced in the training, then it's a good time to practice obedience with distractions, however, if it's a new train....it makes it very hard to work with the dog.....cold weather though....I'm there!

That trainer sounds a bit of a wuss imo ;) I have never known one of our dogs not want to go out because it's raining! Things being blown off edge of a cliff? Still wants to go out! Can't get to the beach because of how much water is blocking the road on the way down? Still wants to go to the beach! Can't open the front door because of how strong the wind is blowing? Looks at you in disgust and disappointment... then stares out the window. Those dogs refused to take no for an answer - we got blocked in for numerous weather related reasons and not once did those reasons make the dogs not want out!
Yep, but as he's a 6-foot something ex police dog trainer I haven't said that to his face! He has said that dogs are too distracted to train in wet weather, but has also cancelled due to snow, and it's not as if I'm in an isolated area...but he is great with my dogs when he does work with them

I have a dog that doesn't like to go out when it rains...the Queen HATES to get any part of her wet and would stay under the covers by a fireplace if she had a choice during the winter.

Got two like that, and one doesn't even like to get his little feet wet. He'll prance like a Tennessee walking horse when his feet get wet! It's kind of funny to watch, but I feel bad for laughing, as he's really stressed out!

He has said that dogs are too distracted to train in wet weather, but has also cancelled due to snow, and it's not as if I'm in an isolated area...but he is great with my dogs when he does work with them

Quite understandable; I'm not real focused when I'm out in the rain either!

Kathy

~A bright sunny day, so the training session went ahead. First off, an assessment of the dogs indoors. Trevor corrected them for playfighting, saying it's really a vying for dominance that I don't need to be going on in the front room while I'm trying to relax. He also cautioned that it's a way for Flash to bond to and listen to the older dogs rather than me, so Flash was leashed and as if by magic all 3 dogs laid down calmly. Every time one of them tried to chew on another they got corrected, and instead of mayhem there was peace!
So then out for a walk. Trevor did say he thought at this stage I should be walking Flash seperately. I explained that I prefer pack walking and with time constraints too it's all walking together that is my aim. On with their leashes and out we went, with the dogs (thankfully) demonstrating that they do repsect me going out the door first and waiting patiently while I lock up. I won't tolerate them pulling ahead and Flash has ben easy to teach because the others already know the rules to starting a walk.
Then my bad habits showed up. Little corrections that are more like nagging, instead of an insistence that they walk at my side with a correction that they must listen to if they don't. Bertie showed that he thinks he can lead the way so we got reminders in how to stop that and to get all 3 relaxed and steady at my knee or just behind, with my arm relaxed.
It was meant to be a 2 hour assessment, but it went so well that Trevor felt an hour was enough. I've got my homework exercises to do and we'll see him in 2 weeks. The dogs are all worn out!

Attachments

• 035 (500x375).jpg
    035 (500x375).jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 41
Janine, is your trainer saying that your dogs should not playfight at all, or just when you give them permission? Mine seem to enjoy it so much, and as long as they aren't knocking lamps over, or running across the furniture, I let them play.

Kathy

He's saying it shouldn't happen at all, but then he doesn't think they should have a toybox to help themselves to, only getting toys when I'm playing with them. I'll go with only when I allow it, the toybox stays and we all walk together!

Attachments

• 022 (500x375).jpg
    022 (500x375).jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 027 (375x500).jpg
    027 (375x500).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 38
Well, as long as there is some compromise. I firmly believe there should be rules, and dogs must have good manners, but they need to have some fun to blow off steam. My dogs know that I'm the boss, and they behave accordingly. But they're still dogs, and I allow playing, as long as they don't get crazy.

Kathy

Goodness....I can't imagine not allowing dogs to play! It's important to them and it's a good way for them to set boundaries. While I correct over bearing behavior, dominance and over excitement my dogs play often. Usually I limit play to the outdoors but they occasionally will wrestle inside while I'm making the bed. If anyone gets out of line, they are corrected and play stops. If it's mayhem...then it does need to stop. There's a difference between out of control and dogs just playing. What happens if the dogs are always corrected for playing and then they meet up with other dogs? This can be interpreted as non social behaviors and will often end up with the other dogs attempting to get the ones to play. Play is perfectly normal and I think vital to a dog's well being.

Well yes and right now Rosie and Bertie are busy teaching Flash rules and boundaries that will mean he will be able to interact with other dogs successfully! They are doing a good job of teaching him bite inhibition and impulse control. All through play.
The most useful part of the session was the walking and getting all 3 relaxed and at my side without pulling.

That is always better. It's so much more enjoyable to walk with a loose lead and no pressure. I finally got my friend to concede that the harness thing she was walking her dog in wasn't working. I offered her my collar for one walk...made one or two corrections and after that she was loose leash walking and we could actually have a conversation and enjoy ourselves. Before that she had to brace the lead around her hips and hold on for dear life to keep the dog from dragging her about....Tiring to say the least!

Back