CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Corn Snakes For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snakes For Sale Got too many? Had a change of interest? Babies hatched out and you want to make some money so you can buy others? This is the place to try to sell them. ALL members may post ads here.

Available snakes

Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #31
josie
The bottom line here is if you are breaking your lease and I highly doubt that keeping snakes was a forbidden clause in your lease. Most landlords do not think to include that in their lease, especially if the lease is for a house. Her phobia should have no play in this. She has no business in your house unless you let her in, tenants have rights too. You pay your rent on time, take good care of the home, do not cause any problems....the husband should stand up to his wife and tell her that he is not willing to lose a good tenant just because she is a chicken sh%t. Stand your ground and hopefully they will not put a new clause in your new lease. I wish you were shipping.......

Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #32
Em Wright
I completely agree with Josie. The wife's phobias should not have a bearing on how you live. They're HER phobias and just because you live in her house shouldn't mean you get punished for her problem. And a good point Josie brought up... she really has NO right, owner or otherwise, entering your home without your permission. If you're caught up in rent and keeping to your lease they really should just leave you be.

It really makes me upset for you, because there's no logical reason other than the wife's phobia and that's not a good reason to ask you to get rid of your snakes. Snakes are probably one of the most clean and least obnoxious pets someone can own. They don't stink to high heaven (like a litter box or rodents), they don't bark or screech (er... whatever you call annoying bird noises) at all hours of the night, or tear things apart. If I were a landlord I'd prefer reptiles to dogs or cats for sure!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #33
josie
The wife wouldn't of even known you had them if it weren't for the inspection so up until then she had no problems with you as a renter. I would point that out to the husband and tell him his wife isn't living there, you are. I could even see if it was an apartment building and the landlords lived in it with you, then I could see the wife's phobias but not with it being a house and you're the only one who lives in it. Grrrrrrr

Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #34
Snakehead
Heather sorry to hear your going thru that! I was told once in Miami that I had to get rid of my animals or move. I lived in an apartment complex and they let themselves in to do some fire hazard checks of the balcony. That's when I moved to central Florida with all my animals. My Father-in-law said we could stay with him untill I found a job and a place to stay of our own. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this cause I skimmed over this thread a bit, but Ship Your Reptiles is shipping again. This time their using Fed Ex. I know you'd rather keep them, but if you need to ship there's the answer till you get certified.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #35
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z) View Post
I hope so! You have certainly gone above and beyond for these people!
I think that other than not asking/telling when I first got the snakes, I have been an excellent tenant. He has told me many times how glad they are that they found me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie View Post
The bottom line here is if you are breaking your lease and I highly doubt that keeping snakes was a forbidden clause in your lease. Most landlords do not think to include that in their lease, especially if the lease is for a house. Her phobia should have no play in this. She has no business in your house unless you let her in, tenants have rights too. You pay your rent on time, take good care of the home, do not cause any problems....the husband should stand up to his wife and tell her that he is not willing to lose a good tenant just because she is a chicken sh%t. Stand your ground and hopefully they will not put a new clause in your new lease. I wish you were shipping.......
I will have to find the lease (I signed it before I moved in & I have it packed somewhere) but I'm pretty sure they listed the animals I moved in with, but nothing about exluding any type of animals.
I am ok with signing a lease saying I won't go over the set amount I have told him I am at, but I won't rehome anymore than I have listed to go to new homes already.
I feel have pretty good leverage to stand my ground.
Like I said, I don't mind compromising, but I'm getting tired of him making passive aggressive comments to see how far he can push me.
I'm glad they know now, because I look forward to warmer days, when I can take my snakes outside to photograph....the landlords work out of the barn on the property...it would be kinda funny to watch her reaction when I bring out Tyr, my Jungle Carpet Python.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Wright View Post
I completely agree with Josie. The wife's phobias should not have a bearing on how you live. They're HER phobias and just because you live in her house shouldn't mean you get punished for her problem. And a good point Josie brought up... she really has NO right, owner or otherwise, entering your home without your permission. If you're caught up in rent and keeping to your lease they really should just leave you be.

It really makes me upset for you, because there's no logical reason other than the wife's phobia and that's not a good reason to ask you to get rid of your snakes. Snakes are probably one of the most clean and least obnoxious pets someone can own. They don't stink to high heaven (like a litter box or rodents), they don't bark or screech (er... whatever you call annoying bird noises) at all hours of the night, or tear things apart. If I were a landlord I'd prefer reptiles to dogs or cats for sure!
I agree that I think she is using her phobia as a base to try & get me to get rid of them.
As far as I know, they do not enter the house when I'm not there. They asked once, during the summer, because they wanted to access one of the windows, to paint the outside of the house. I told them I do not like people in the house when I'm not there. It wasn't because of the snakes, I just don't like random people in my house when I'm not home.
The landlord even commented that he was surprised at the lack of smell from the ferrets. I'm sure they did not expect the house to be as clean as it was, with 2 GSD's & the ferrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie View Post
The wife wouldn't of even known you had them if it weren't for the inspection so up until then she had no problems with you as a renter. I would point that out to the husband and tell him his wife isn't living there, you are. I could even see if it was an apartment building and the landlords lived in it with you, then I could see the wife's phobias but not with it being a house and you're the only one who lives in it. Grrrrrrr
Yeah, a few people told me I should hide the snakes, for the inspection, & in hindsight, maybe I should have, but I felt the need to tell them about the snakes & the feeder mice. I need to get over my guilty conscience. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakehead View Post
Heather sorry to hear your going thru that! I was told once in Miami that I had to get rid of my animals or move. I lived in an apartment complex and they let themselves in to do some fire hazard checks of the balcony. That's when I moved to central Florida with all my animals. My Father-in-law said we could stay with him untill I found a job and a place to stay of our own. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this cause I skimmed over this thread a bit, but Ship Your Reptiles is shipping again. This time their using Fed Ex. I know you'd rather keep them, but if you need to ship there's the answer till you get certified.
I cannot wait to buy my own house, so I just don't have to deal with landlords.

I have seen that SYR now is or will be working with FedEx & I will check it out. I have started the FedEx certification process, & will eventually end up shipping.

I want to thank everyone who is helping or who has offered to help! I really appreciate it!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #36
lumene
Hi,
My condolences. I had an issue very like yours, except I was already living in my suite when the landlord's lady moved in and wanted me to get rid of my snakes- my landlord told me I wouldn't have to move them though, since I'd been here prior to their getting together.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #37
MysticExotics
Well, I started looking at rental houses, & on the off chance, decided to see what was available to buy. I've found a couple homes in my price range & a great house that is rent to own, that is less monthly than my current rental.
So, I will be making some phone calls this weekend, & possibly moving forward to just moving out.
The snakes I have selected will still go to new homes, but once I get moved (if it all works out) I won't have to worry about restrictions.

I'll keep you all posted.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #38
MysticExotics
I will be going to meet with my mortgage broker today & see if/what I can qualify for. I may not be able to buy yet, since I had to short sale the house from my former marriage, 8 months ago.
The rent to own house has been rented
Hopefully I can qualify to buy.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #39
Em Wright
Good luck Heather!! I hope you qualify and can find a nice place!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #40
toxiclight
Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google