CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Heating Pad

Old 02-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
anitole42
Heating Pad

Right now I have a heating pad under one half of my corn snakes tank, he is still a baby I am not sure how old though. Is that enough? I have seen various opinions on it.

He doesn't seem to even like the hot side and it always under his substrate on the cold side. I turned the heat down and he still prefers it cold.

Is my current set up okay or should I get a lamp?

Old 02-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
Patmart
Hi I’ve got both I have my heat lamp on in the day and keep my heat mat on low for night just to keep it a bit warm at night
I have my lamp on 32c for 12 hours
And then I turn it down to 23c
My heat mat comes on at 24c
It works for me I’ve had my corns for over 12 months
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
If your heat pad is 140 degrees he might prefer the cool side. What temp is it set at, and have you actually measured it to be sure it's the correct temp?

The temp on the glass right above the pad should read about 85 degrees.

There should be a Hiding spot directly over the heat pad as well.

There should be another hiding spot somewhere on the cool side.

If you've done all that, and he's on the cool side, then that's just what he prefers at the moment.

My snake spends time on both sides. They know when they need to be warm or cool.

"Our Goal" as snake owners is to provide the correct temps to them. We Let them make their own choice as to where they hang out.

You've really not given us much info in your post. For example, what kind of pad are you using? You stated you "Turned it down." What kind of thermostat are you using? Are you sure it's working correctly? Have you measured the temp right over the pad to see what it is? Perhaps you could take a picture of your entire cage and post it for us to see.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
Twolunger
My ambient ( room) temperature in Florida is between 78-80 most of the year. My corns seldom stay on the hot side of their enclosure. They do move to the hotter side after eating. Lacking a good thermometer, you can tell if the hot side is too hot by feeling the glass over the heating pad. If it feels warm to the touch it is too hot. If it feels hot to the touch it's really too hot. A decent thermometer is cheap though.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
anitole42
Thank you guys that helps a lot! I turned the pad down, it felt to hot.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
DeuceRon
The advice that I like to follow is not to go by how you think it feels. Get a thermometer with a probe to make sure it's not burning hot and right around 85 like Karl suggested. Mine was getting over 100 degrees F, so I shut it off.
Since my snake prefers the high plants to chill, I have my heat source up high. That's where it's nice and warm. He does bury himself, but only on the cool side.
Once he grows, he'll probably enjoy his hide. That's when I'll need to regulate the temp on the heat mat.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
Patmart
Hi I’ve got both lamp and mat I only use the mat for night times
My lamp is on 31 for days and then turn it down to 23 the mat comes on at 25 both got thermometer with probe
That works for me
Pat

Old 04-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
DeuceRon
Wow, Pat! 31, that's below freezing! HAHA! I know you're talking Celsius. Us chaps in the states have to think about that since we're all Fahrenheit users.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
Patmart
Sorry I forgot 31c
I always have to think where I’m talking to
Pat

Old 04-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
Patmart

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
heating