CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Animal Selling Crackdown in Facebook

Old 05-29-2019, 04:42 AM   #1
pitzMike
Animal Selling Crackdown in Facebook

Ok, so I have read from various sources that there were already numerous facebook groups and pages that have been deleted because of animal selling. I am one of the moderators of a local Cornsnake group and we do have found a loophole for this by avoiding banned words but time will tell if that will still be effective.
Im from the Philippines and aside from FB, other local marketing/selling apps also have banned selling animals. It's proving to be difficult to sell anything animals online without having your own website. Forums are a great place since the Moderators have full control on the contents but advertisements here are not really popular outside the US (I believe) and/or other people are not really inclined in visiting Forums .
What's the effect of this crackdown on everyone's business? I hope people will find a way back here in the forums.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
Rich Z
I believe what is going to happen is a lot of people who abandoned forums to go off to facebook are going to have a rude awakening when they get booted from facebook and then find when they want to go back to some of the forums, they will no longer exist. Sites can only survive if they are supported by a solid membership base. When that base goes away, so does the site.

The only reason this forum site is still here is because FaunaClassifieds is paying the bills needed to keep it alive. If it were not for that, this site would already be long gone.

Since I will be closing the Board of Inquiry on FaunaClassifieds come next February, it is entirely possible that FaunaClassiifeds might become a non-viable entity as well. Which means, of course, CornSnakes.com goes away too.

That is just the way it works on the internet.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:37 PM   #3
MysticExotics
PETA is now a shareholder on FB, and animal groups are being deleted.
This is an image I recently saw, of a group that got deleted.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
Rich Z
Quote:
Facebook Has a New Shareholder: PETA

Stock Purchase Made in Response to Increased Video Censorship

For Immediate Release:
July 1, 2019

Moira Colley 202-483-7382

Menlo Park, Calif. – Today, PETA purchased shares in Facebook, enabling the group to submit a shareholder resolution, attend the company’s annual meetings, and ask questions of executives there. The move comes after the social media platform upped its use of warning screens on PETA videos showing real-life incidents of routine cruelty to animals, significantly limiting the group’s ability to expose animal suffering to a wide audience.

“People deserve to see what animals endure in laboratories, on factory farms and in slaughterhouses, when they’re skinned or plucked alive for clothing, and when they’re beaten so that they’ll perform tricks,” says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. “PETA urges Facebook to follow Twitter’s lead by allowing users to decide for themselves whether they want to opt in or out of warning covers.”

Sharing eyewitness video footage directly with the public through social media has played a vital role in many of PETA’s victories in behalf of animals—including leading major companies to end appallingly cruel experiments on animals, forcing many circuses that use animals to shut down or stop using wild animals, and persuading hundreds of retailers to ban fur, angora, and mohair.

PETA’s motto reads, “Animals are not ours to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way.” The group opposes speciesism, which is a human-supremacist worldview. For more information, please visit PETA.org.

Source: https://www.peta.org/media/news-rele...reholder-peta/

Old 08-01-2019, 04:45 AM   #5
pitzMike
Though I love animals, I disliked PETA because they are narrow minded people that only focuses on their own personal gains and nothing more while using the love for animals as disguise.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
tricksterpup
From what i read and have heard as well, a lot of this was spurred on by not the reptile trade per-se.
It was due to trafficking of Exotic Animals and Animal parts. Many of these exotic animals/parts were being sold in private groups. And when i mean parts, i mean ivory, rhino horns and exotic animals as wild caught tortoises and birds. This is just scratching at the surface of the illegal animal trade out there. So who became a viable victim here? Animal Breeders in the US and abroad.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Rich Z
It is just my personal opinion, but I don't believe that the policies that govern facebook are much influenced by ethical considerations.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #8
Frank Pinello

Old 08-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #9
DeuceRon
I was a member of a Tarantula group which was shut down because of this. It's really out of control.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Pine
I know a Retic that is a bunny hugger.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google