CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Building or buying rodent rack?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Melissa324
Building or buying rodent rack?

Hi. I have a handful of snakes and it's beginning to get expensive feeding them. I wanted to dabble in breeding mice. I would like to breed enough to feed my snakes and have more that I can supply my friend with(he owns a pet store). I used to breed hamsters so it's not like I'm jumping into it knowing nothing. I noticed many of you use glass tanks but I've also heard of "rodent racks" or "rodent breeding boxes". Where can I find these? I'm talking about ones similar to the one pictures on this website. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Melissa

Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Flagg
If you mean the lab style cages/tubs with wire tops comprising a food hopper and water bottle holder, I have bought them at a local reptile show used for $5 each for the shoebox size, they work well enough for 1.1 or 1.2 mice in each tub.
They also show up on Ebay occasionally, priced anywhere from 2.50 to 15.00 each. There are larger sizes occasionally as well.

If you want to buy brand new ones and pay a lot more money for them, BigAppleHerp.com sells them.

Or you could try your luck with a lab eqiuipent vendor, though they are pretty expensive new, A used dealer might have them for a decent price.

If they are for mice, make sure the bar spacing as small enough, like 1/4" or 3/8". Rat models have largr bar spacing and young mice could probably escape through them.

There are also plans for DIY racks using plastic tubs, like mortar mixing tubs, cat litter pans or sterilite tubs on various site. Sorry I appear to have lost the URL but a google search should find something.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Stephen29
Melissa, this link shows how to build a mouse/ rat breeding rack.

http://www.ralphdavisreptiles.com/in...ves/oct-03.asp

I built a ONE LEVEL version of this, that held 4 small cat litter trays, made by Van Ness. They sell these at Wal Mart. I'll try to send some pics of my rack system. I'm just now getting back into breeding mice.

Hope this helps. Stephen

Old 03-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Flagg
It does? Where? I see a lot of pics but no coherent text anywhere. what a ramblinhg mess of textual vomit. =)

Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Stephen29
If you put your cursor over the pics , a brief description of the pic will pop up. It gives some detail , about what each pic is about.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
what a ramblinhg mess of textual vomit. =)
Hah hah hah! I'd have to agree with this!

I think this link is much, much better:

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rat_rack/ratrack.shtml

Old 04-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
jimijaw
Thats a great link stephan 29 posted but it doesnt really say what kind of tubs to use. I havent tried it but does anyone know if mice and rats will chew out of a plastic sterilite tub? Right now I have my breeders in 10 gallon fish tanks and with all the snakes I have plus 7 more arriving next week I have got to expand but the cost of tanks are getting pretty stiff not to mention lids. I would gladly build a rack if I knew that the rodents cant or wont chew through the plastic trays. Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jimi

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google