CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

A little ray of Asian sunshine!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Tula_Montage
A little ray of Asian sunshine!

Heres our new additions, a true CAPTIVE BRED (they have only been CB 3 times in the UK) pair of Xenopelis unicolour, otherwise known as the sunbeam snake. These are the most irridescent snakes in the world, fact. They are literally like glass, and the colour on them is just so freakin' impressive in person, and it's only going to get better with age!

These are a primative boid species, and are yet to be classified as either a boa or a python. The white ring around the neck completely disapears as they age, when they hatched the colour was snow white and you can already see its starting to fade. Theres no known reason why this happens.

First up is Oracle, the female. She's a sweetie pie.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Tula_Montage
Zhen, the fiesty male in blue. They turn white in shed, but hes just cleared.

No, he wasn't trying to bite, these guys just feel the need to burrow or hide constantly!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
tom e
OMG! Elle those are dynomite!!
How big do these get?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Tula_Montage
These get to about 3ft - 1 metre... so not that big. However they are chunkey wee monkeys!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
tom e
I was doing a search while I waited for your reply...
I think I have found something else for the wishlist. Actually something that has bumped my whole wishlist, lol.
Let's see from what I just read, they like high humidity? How do you keep yours? Also I read that their musk is about the worst, and WC don't do well at all...
Yikes- CITES protected? Do you need a permit or something for these? Or not cause they are CB?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Tula_Montage
Yes they need 100% humidity at all times. We achieve this by using log hides stuffed with moss, but we still only use paper towel substrate.

Their musk is apparently awful, but we are yet to sniff it. My partner has had WC adults in the past, and they did well. Usually they are just pull of parasites. He told me he couldn't get his to musk or bite, no matter how much he annoyed them.

They are fast wee buggers, but the male was quite calm today cause hes in shed. Both eat f/t with no problems whatsoever!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
diamondlil
Pretty! What happened to your SO's specimens? Did he have them long?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Tula_Montage
This was a long time ago, he had them 6 months. One of them died after parasite treatment and he passed the female onto someone else for a preeding program.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
diamondlil
I'm at work so I can't search for them, but they look like an interesting species. Wonder why they're not kept more, given the way they look and the manageable size?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Tula_Montage
They are widely distributed, although they are not a beginners species. 99.9% are WC adults, and in inexperienced hands, do not do well.

They don't have a great reputation due to the fact not many people have successfully bred them. So we feel extremely privileged to have the only pair in Scotland, and indeed one of very few captive bred pairs in the world!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google