CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

What can I feed my Corn Snake?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Snake Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
This seems obvoius to that point of over looking it, but have you considered corn? I know it is a starchy diet and you can't use it as a staple but just for that special once in a while treat I think that's the ticket.

For a snake as small as yours, you would want to use creamed corn and not whole kernal. When they are older, I love to watch them eat pop corn (unpopped of course). It really makes them lively.

Now, on a serious note. Personally, I'd stick with rodents, and only go for anoles (CB ones, not WC due to parasites, pesticides on their prey etc.) as a last resort for a non-feeder. When your little guy gets older you could try him on appropriately sized rats, but in my experience, the poo smells worse!

Hope that helps

David

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
GlitterFlame89
Smile

Corn? Corn Snakes can eat corn? I thought they were strictly carnivores? But OK, after he's settled in and is eating well, I'll give it a try. How hot do I make it and how do I get them to eat it? And yes, can corns eat eggs, or is that a no-no?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #13
GlitterFlame89
Smile

Oh man, I fell for it, didn't I? UGH! OK, you got me, I am ridiculously gulliable, LOL.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
MerlinsPop
Re:eggs... I've thought about scrambling an egg and seeing if a snake will suck up the thick liquid, but dediced against it.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AJ View Post
I'm surprised no ones picked up on the egg's... Can Corn snakes actually EAT eggs?. From what limited research i did into egg eating snakes, they eat eggs by swallowing them part of the way and they have 'teeth-like' outcrops along their back which rips open the egg, they swallow whats inside then regurgitate the shell.
I don't know about eggs but I know that they regurge the cob after they have stripped the kernels.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I don't know about eggs but I know that they regurge the cob after they have stripped the kernels.
You're killing me wade! Are you sure they don't just eat the kernels in rows with little typewriter sound effects?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #17
Nanci
My new reptile parasite book says you have to freeze prey for 30 days to destroy parasites.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #18
wade
That works for me!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterFlame89 View Post
Oh man, I fell for it, didn't I? UGH! OK, you got me, I am ridiculously gulliable, LOL.
Did you know that the word gulliable is not in the dictionary?

Thank you GlitterFlame, You are the highlight of my morning.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #20
Cody
I suppose you could feed your snake Anole Lizards {as treats}, where I live they are $5.99, somewhat exspensive compared to pinkies, or If you live in the deep south, like I did for eight years, You could catch Anoles. Also, You could feed your snake bird eggs, most who do only feed chickens, but if you find a bird egg, I would wash the shell off with water and Soap, then feed your snake. I have heard that some wild Corn Snakes eat invertibrates [invertibrates are animals without a skeleton, or with a skeleton the outside, Exoskelton] So I suppose you could feed your Corn Snake Grasshopers or crickets, but those hop around to much for your Corn Snake to have enough time to get into position and strike. If you like my post, please rep me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google