CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Is He Still Hungry?

Old 02-05-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
rweighell
Is He Still Hungry?

I've had Rusty for 2 weeks now and he's just had his second feed.

After the first (waited 7 days for him to settle in) he stayed pretty calm and relatively still for a few days.

However he has been very active after his second (6 days later), so I wondered if I'm leaving it too long in between? Or if he's just comfortable?

He was about a year old when I got him, and he's about 12 inches long but I can't weigh him as my scales don't go that low!

Thank you

Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Twolunger
You didn't mention exactly what you are feeding him. If you are feeding him pinkies he can be fed every 5 days easily. I've got 4 month old corns that are already over 12 inches long.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
rweighell
My measuring was a bit off first time around, he's actually about 16 inches.
And yes, he's on pinkies. I'll feed him with 5 day intervals and see how he gets on. Thank you

Old 02-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rweighell View Post
I've had Rusty for 2 weeks now and he's just had his second feed.

After the first (waited 7 days for him to settle in) he stayed pretty calm and relatively still for a few days.

However he has been very active after his second (6 days later), so I wondered if I'm leaving it too long in between? Or if he's just comfortable?

He was about a year old when I got him, and he's about 12 inches long but I can't weigh him as my scales don't go that low!

Thank you
After a dozen twinkies, Oprah is still hungry too, but that doesn't mean she should eat another one. (LOL)

A year old and only 16 inches long???

Without weight, it's hard to say for sure, but I personally imagine a 16 inch corn snake weighing about 20 to 30 grams. That seems abnormally small for a year old to me, but I'll take your word for it.

If the snake is about 25 grams or more, you might be able to feed 2 pinkies of average size. Or a big one every 5 days.

The Munson Feeding Plan is loosely based on feeding babies about 13% of their body weight in food. (That's why weighing is important). So for example, if your snake did weigh 20 grams, you'd feed a meal weighing about 2.6 grams. This could be 1 pinky weighing that much or 2 that also total that much. Do not "Over feed."

Old 02-10-2018, 02:06 AM   #5
regnar
The best method is to try and test. In your next feed, wait for only 5 days and see how your snake reacts.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #6
rweighell
Thanks for your advice everyone, after a few feeds with 5 day intervals, it seems that he's just quite active in general, haha!

We've had our first shed (perfectly!) so back to normal feeding regimes now!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google