CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

mites

Old 12-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
electrostorm33
mites

So I bought my corn a week ago and it's 11 weeks old. I have a problem, he has mites. They are in his eyes and on his chin. I've just bought some zoomed mite off spray but looking at the reviews apparently it's not effective. Now I have no idea what to do. Reptiles vets are not common in England. Someone please help. Thanks

Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
TyeW
Search up nix treatment online. I used it when I had mites and it worked great. Be sure to carefully follow the article. I think I used the directions on Alberta herp website.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
electrostorm33
Thank you!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
electrostorm33
Unfortunately just seen that it's not widely available in the UK, or is very expensive. Money is an issue due to the fact that my parents want nothing to do with my snake /:

Old 12-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #5
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrostorm33 View Post
Unfortunately just seen that it's not widely available in the UK, or is very expensive. Money is an issue due to the fact that my parents want nothing to do with my snake /:
I never want to discourage anyone from doing or having something they want, but if your parents won't help and you can't afford the proper needs for an animal, I would suggest letting someone adopt him who can afford it. Wait until you are stable and on your own before taking on a life who will rely on you for its every need.

Can you get a job babysitting, lawn care or delivering newspapers or something? Maybe offer to volunteer in a pet shop in exchange for your snake's needs? Or (you don't state your age, I am assuming you are in school) talk to a science teacher about prospects. Explain your situation and they might just let you bring him to school as a mascot and help with the costs of his care.

Many of my snakes are in my home due to situations just like yours. Someone had gotten them and either grew bored with the snake or couldn't afford the care needed. They are REALLY awesome pets, but you do have to remember that they have a life span of up to 20+ years, and if you can't make that commitment then talk to a vet or animal shelter about rehoming him. I wish I lived near you, I would help you out here.

Best of luck with him, I hope that the job idea works out so you can keep him!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Todd120
I agree. Never buy a pet on a budget. You never know when a vet expense or something major will pop up. The animal relies on you to take care of it now. What will you do if it ingests something it shouldn't or hurts itself? Always budget for the worst case scenario. If you are still able to handle that, then move forward with the purchase.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
electrostorm33
Sorry I meant the mite thing, they hate mites. The snake will always be paid for. I'm sorting it anyway. But thanks for you help.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
electrostorm33
I just knew a lice treatment should not be that much money. But I hear zoo-med can be really effective if used right. I haven't let the mite situation get out of control anyway

Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrostorm33 View Post
Sorry I meant the mite thing, they hate mites. The snake will always be paid for.
Sorry, I have to call you out on this. I think you misunderstood Todd and I, we know the snake is paid for. You said "my parents want nothing to do with my snake", and then changed it to "Sorry I meant the mite thing, they hate mites" when we gave you an honest answer that you may not have wanted to hear.

But what happens when (not "if", but "when") something happens to your snake, or any pet? They do need the proper diet, substrate, heating equipment, hides, dishes, and enough meals to get him through at least a month. And that is just for the setup. You will always need to have funds saved up and available because he will always need to have a food supply, a larger viv, or if he gets injured or sick, like he is now, just one week after you got him.

You made a commitment to him when you bought him that you would do anything it takes to keep him healthy, this is the case with all pets. We spent $8000 on one cat one year when she went into renal failure. Many trips to the vet hospital, two surgeries and several ultrasounds and giving her sub-cutaneous fluids daily helped her recover almost completely. If she were too far gone or if doing what we did would cause more harm than good, we would have put her to sleep without question, it would be the humane thing to do, but since there was a chance she could live and thrive with our help we opted to pay that huge bill with the money set aside for all of our animals. We made a promise to her that we would keep her comfortable for the rest of her life, and we did.

On a different note, since you just got him, I would contact the breeder or pet shop where you got him from. Most breeders and shops have a health guarantee on their animals. I don't know if mites would be covered under this since there is no way to know if he got them at your house or had them when you bought him, but it is worth a shot. I would call them immediately.

I really hope you take our concerns to heart, we are here to help owners help their corn snakes, and to learn new things ourselves. But this is a case where you, as the owner, need to step back and really evaluate what is best for this snake.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #10
TyeW
Try to get provent-a-mite if you can't buy nix. Those two are the only products I know of that actually work.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google