CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Is 100 degree weather too hot for a cornsnake?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2019, 01:36 AM   #1
Carnelian
Is 100 degree weather too hot for a cornsnake?

Hello!

I have a beautiful cornsnake and he is a year old. He has never missed a meal, sheds in one piece every time, and currently weighs 110g. He normally stays burrowed in his bedding during the day and wanders at night. Where I live right now (California) it is very hot. Today it reached 105 degrees and it looks like the heat will persist. I have no doubt there will be plenty of other days where it is over 100 degrees. I have an under-tank heating pad that I normally keep at 85 degrees, but today I used a temperature sensor to measure how hot it was in his viv and it showed his bedding was 90 degrees throughout. Should I turn off the heating pad? Is this temperature a concern for my snake? He doesn't have a cooler place to be and I am worried it is too hot for him. I spray water in his viv to keep it humid during this dry season and to hopefully help cool things off. Is there anything else I can do or should be doing? I appreciate any advice.