CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Baby morph labeling

Old 03-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
67temp
Baby morph labeling

Is there a standard for how to combine morphs when labeling? ie alphabetical order, what ever is most catchy, already established labels according to ians...etc.

Example: Hatchling is amel, caramel, cinder, and sunkissed.

amel + caramel = butter
cinder + sunkissed = shatter
Which makes a butter shatter.

amel + cinder = peppermint
caramel + sunkissed = honey
Which makes it peppermint honey.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
67temp
Also

amel + caramel + cinder = buttermint.
So sunkissed buttermint.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Twolunger
I have not found anything other than Ian's Vivarium, but often the morphs are misleading. If you mate an amel with a cinder you will produce nothing except normals, not peppermints. If you plug in the normals het for amel and cinder with his calculator you still produce a lot of normals. These breeding projects can take a person years, so unless you are young and have a lot of time, pay the money someone is asking for a peppermint or buttermint. LOL.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
Dragonling
I would call it a Honeymint. That's just me.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
67temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I have not found anything other than Ian's Vivarium, but often the morphs are misleading. If you mate an amel with a cinder you will produce nothing except normals, not peppermints. If you plug in the normals het for amel and cinder with his calculator you still produce a lot of normals. These breeding projects can take a person years, so unless you are young and have a lot of time, pay the money someone is asking for a peppermint or buttermint. LOL.
Lol I'm still youngish (mid 30's). I'm attempting a pairing this year where the male is already a 2 gene visual and 2 gene ph. The female is one gene visual and 3 gene ph. I have other females for next year that are 2 gene visual and 2 gene ph. So there is a decent chance of possibly hitting something interesting in the near future. The question was mostly about what to call them when you get 3, 4, 5 genes deep.

Similar if you have a Miami het amel mated to an okeetee het amel. Are the babies that come out amel called candy cane, reverse okeetee, or just amel. Granted to be a candy cane it would have to meet the visual requirements too.

Honeymint does have a nice sound to it.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
Lol I'm still youngish (mid 30's). I'm attempting a pairing this year where the male is already a 2 gene visual and 2 gene ph. The female is one gene visual and 3 gene ph. I have other females for next year that are 2 gene visual and 2 gene ph. So there is a decent chance of possibly hitting something interesting in the near future. The question was mostly about what to call them when you get 3, 4, 5 genes deep.

Similar if you have a Miami het amel mated to an okeetee het amel. Are the babies that come out amel called candy cane, reverse okeetee, or just amel. Granted to be a candy cane it would have to meet the visual requirements too.

Honeymint does have a nice sound to it.
The Amel babies will depend on the ground color and thickness of the borders.
RO would need thick white borders, Candy Cane would not have the orange in the ground color.

The first photo is a Candy Cane hatchling, no orange in the ground color, as opposed to the Amel Tessera hatchling, you can see the orange in the ground color.

The next two photos, do you see the difference in the saddle borders?

Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
MysticExotics
That is a bad photo for the Amel Tessera, here's a better one.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
Seriva Senkalora
It seems as if that name is choosen which gives the better sound.

We have had the same issue with Caramel + Amel + Kastanie combos here in germany. The term Kastanie Butter lost against the now always used Caramel Mandarin.

In the end I would give it a new name only, when there's no short name available.
Sunkissed Buttermint would be my personal favourite - short and clear, no need to give it a new name.

I have a breeding project which could give me Hypo + Caramel + Kastanie + Bloodred + Motley which would be Amber Kastanie Blood Motley is the shortest possible name based on the currently used ones. Might stick to that, don't know anything better at the moment.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 AM   #9
pitzMike
@MysticExotics - Whoah! Beautiful Candycane hatchlings! I hope they don't outgrow the neat and clean look!

Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriva Senkalora View Post
It seems as if that name is choosen which gives the better sound.

We have had the same issue with Caramel + Amel + Kastanie combos here in germany. The term Kastanie Butter lost against the now always used Caramel Mandarin.

In the end I would give it a new name only, when there's no short name available.
Sunkissed Buttermint would be my personal favourite - short and clear, no need to give it a new name.

I have a breeding project which could give me Hypo + Caramel + Kastanie + Bloodred + Motley which would be Amber Kastanie Blood Motley is the shortest possible name based on the currently used ones. Might stick to that, don't know anything better at the moment.
I propose Sesame for Hypo Kastanie, even though the Motley ones I hatch out turn startlingly red-orange. Tahini for Caramel Hypo Kastanie?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google