CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

White scales

Old 12-22-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
zilla
White scales

My albiino okeetee babys are not well.. 4-6 of them have white scales on the head(just on the head). Some of them have "blistering"(?) and after shed the scale is white. Some has tiny dark spot, and then same thing-after shed the scale is white. I keep them clean and other hatchlings are ok-so any idea what this is? Are they all gona have this? Sorry, bad english

Old 12-22-2005, 04:10 AM   #2
Taceas
Is there any way they could be rubbing their head in a tight spot in their vivs? Is there a hole they can't quite fit their heads through or a gap around the lid?

I had a female amel mot look like that when she repeatedly tried to fit her head through an air-hole in a plastic tub. Rubbed the scales right off and they looked just like that, blistered whitish looking. Even now, 2 going on 3 years later her head still shows signs.

I'd watch them to see if they are rubbing those spots raw on something in the viv in an attempt to escape. Other than that, I've no clue.

Let us know what you find.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
Gintha
Thats the first thing I thought too. Treasure rubbed his nose raw a couple of times and it looking kinda like that. Silly snakies.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
zilla
It would be a really big relief if that is the reason why they have these! My friend suspect that these could be inherited inflammation(right word?), because my amela, anery and snow babys are ok-and they have same kind of boxes and conditions. Hiding places are different, but otherwise..

Old 12-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
ghosthousecorns
I believe snakes can get blisters from too much humidity.
I'm not sure if that's it since you said the rest of your babies are ok but if you keep them in a rack system you could try putting a few more holes in the tubs. There shouldn't be a lot of condensation on the tubs.
Hope they will get better!

Old 12-23-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
zilla
The humidity should be ok. These babys all have these low plastic hiding palces.. Can there be some surface treatment stuff which irritates these babys skin? I really hope that this isnīt anything inheritable..

Old 12-23-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
MegF.
Mine had a head scale that looked like that. I don't know how she did it, but after a few sheds it was gone.

Old 12-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
zilla
Two pictures more. In first picture the baby is a few weeks old, and the second one is taken today. I havenīt seen any dark spots, blistering or inflammation in this baby. Still white appears.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:04 AM   #9
Joejr14
Maybe it's that new fatal white scale spot disease that Egg was talking about....

Old 12-26-2005, 04:12 AM   #10
boaboi
no i dont think is that bad my amel had some thing like that a little while ago it almost looked like a scab at first but she never got cut and never bleed but after a few sheds it went away

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google