CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #41
Em Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
The conversational aspect of it is exactly what I like! I can catch up with all the news, personal, local, worldwide, that people see fit to post, without missing anything. If Carol is in chat, telling them about what snakes are breeding and her cat is in heat again and how the economy and the current president are affecting her job, and I am not in chat to read that, I have missed the opportunity. If she posts it in DYK, I may not be there at 2AM, but I can catch up at 5AM when I'm awake and everyone else is sleeping. I can post my thoughts, and when Carol wakes up three time zones away, she can read them.
I completley understand that, Nanci. I've had dealings on another forum where the moderators had huge problem with a thread very similar to the DYK.

It makes a lot of sense to me. And this is just me babbling on.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #42
sarcare
The other forums that I've been on have all had Random type threads like DYK, but they always closed them after a given number of posts/pages and started a new one. They said it was something about the server, but I am no computer wiz. It was always exciting to see what/when the new random chit-chat threat would open.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #43
LBoz
^That's how the "randoms" thread is on my forum...the person to hit the 100th page gets the right to start a new one with a title of their own. The old one is then scrapped.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #44
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
The conversational aspect of it is exactly what I like! I can catch up with all the news, personal, local, worldwide, that people see fit to post, without missing anything. If Carol is in chat, telling them about what snakes are breeding and her cat is in heat again and how the economy and the current president are affecting her job, and I am not in chat to read that, I have missed the opportunity. If she posts it in DYK, I may not be there at 2AM, but I can catch up at 5AM when I'm awake and everyone else is sleeping. I can post my thoughts, and when Carol wakes up three time zones away, she can read them.
Posting things like that is what I think the original content was supposed to be like, and that is not exactly what concerns me about the content. I'm specifically talking about the actual conversations that take place when both people are on-line at the same time and are posting back and forth in the thread to each other, something that they can just as easily do in chat.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #45
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
I'm not sure why some members oppose that thread so vehemently. It's not my thang, so I don't post in it often, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Why would it? Maybe some members get sick of seeing it near the top of the "New Posts" listings all the time.
Amen! I didn't join the DYK thread until I needed to vent about the "Killing the Future Market" thread. Before that I never even read it but never wanted it gone simply because I had to overpass it in the "new posts" list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
DYK.... ooops sorry wrong thread... LOL
I use another vbullitln site that has 1000's more active members, it has over 4000 new posts a day,some members have more posts than Nanci, it has lots of posts in the 1000's and people all have dragons and massive sigs.... Plus everyone is able to edit. And that site loads much quicker than this one.......
So maybe it's some other problem???????
PM me!! I need a place to grow my eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Posting things like that is what I think the original content was supposed to be like, and that is not exactly what concerns me about the content. I'm specifically talking about the actual conversations that take place when both people are on-line at the same time and are posting back and forth in the thread to each other, something that they can just as easily do in chat.
Not necessarily as easily done. In DYK I can talk to someone, leave to check on the rest of the forum, and come back for the answer whenever I can, I don't have to stay captive to the screen. If it takes me awhile to get back to the converstation, I can go back and quote their response and reply so there is no question who I am talking to. In chat, if I leave too long the other person's response could have dropped off the page, or that person may have left, etc.

It's kind of a give and take and making limitations is a fine line. If Rich limits the site just to cornsnake discussions, I don't think I'd have enough to say to be here everyday or be interested about reading about corns everyday and my visits would drop dramatically. I have a feeling I'm not the only one. So the more limitations are put, the less traffic the site will have. Then your loading speed problem will be solved but there will be not much to read at your lightening speed.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #46
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol View Post
It's kind of a give and take and making limitations is a fine line. If we limit the site just to cornsnake discussions, I don't think I'd have enough to say to be here everyday or be interested about reading about corns everyday. I have a feeling I'm not the only one. So the more limitations are put, the less traffic the site will have. Then your loading speed problem will be solved but there will be not much to read at your lightening speed.
I agree!!

Wayne

Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #47
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
DYK.... ooops sorry wrong thread... LOL
I use another vbullitln site that has 1000's more active members, it has over 4000 new posts a day,some members have more posts than Nanci, it has lots of posts in the 1000's and people all have dragons and massive sigs.... Plus everyone is able to edit. And that site loads much quicker than this one.......
So maybe it's some other problem???????
Maybe so.... But how much are THEY pulling in financially with advertising and such? Certainly if I could afford a server that would cost me $1200+ per month, this site would be just zipping along as well.

Heck at one time I was running four servers, and am now down to two. I dropped doing the domain hosting thing and consolidated three servers into two. I wish I could consolidate further into a single server without dramatically impacting throughput. So when I see something going on that I feel may impact performance, I have to weigh the benefits to the TOTAL members here concerning the enjoyment level of such things compared to the negative impact it may have affecting everyone. Active links in signature areas are definitely something that can adversely affect performance of a website. Even smilies can do so as well, but I felt that the tradeoff was worth while.

Heck, bear in mind that even if someone goes so far as to post a graphic in their signature that is 100K in file size. And further suppose they post 5 replies in a single page of a thread. The poor member on dialup who views that page has to wait for 500K of extraneous graphics files (ignoring caching for the purpose of this discussion) down to their browser.

So yeah, when everyone is on a fast fiber optic connection, then maybe I won't have to worry about such things. But until that time, sorry, I do have to watch over the bandwidth to try to make certain we don't chase away a bunch of people simply because they CAN'T view this site because of the bandwidth demands it puts on their browser.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #48
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol View Post
It's kind of a give and take and making limitations is a fine line. If Rich limits the site just to cornsnake discussions, I don't think I'd have enough to say to be here everyday or be interested about reading about corns everyday and my visits would drop dramatically. I have a feeling I'm not the only one. So the more limitations are put, the less traffic the site will have. Then your loading speed problem will be solved but there will be not much to read at your lightening speed.
I have no intention of doing that. Matter of fact I have been talking about expanding this site for years, but just never had the time to act on that possibility. This site is a WHOLE LOT more oriented towards general discussions then FaunaClassifieds is, so at sometime in the future, I very well may go with the flow. FaunaClassifieds can be more business oriented, and this site can be more the place for actually discussions to take place.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #49
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
FWIW - and all due respect - what you think is "relevant or appropriate" for this site is not relevant.

The same goes for what *I* think is "relevant or appropriate". Rich has the final say in all matters relating to this site, The End.

Agreed, the premise of this site is to discuss corns and all aspects related to them. But we're all human here, and discussions not related to corns will take place....which, if I understand correctly, was the impetus for the "General Chit-Chat Forum" to begin with. "Any old chit at all", as long as it falls under Rich's guidelines for acceptable behavior.

Dale
Actually I only read the smallest fraction of posts here. It would seriously suck up all my time if I even tried to read a major portion of them. So it's going to be the mods that are going to be making recommendations about any direction they see threads, or this site in general, going that they feel may not be in my best interests.

I try to give people a lot of leeway here, and have asked the mods to do the same. But there always has to be sensible limits in place in any avenue open to public expression. Not just from people who are ignorant that such limits are necessary, but also from those people who will purposely try to cause friction among the members and staff by trying to push the envelope as much as possible.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #50
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I have no intention of doing that. Matter of fact I have been talking about expanding this site for years, but just never had the time to act on that possibility. This site is a WHOLE LOT more oriented towards general discussions then FaunaClassifieds is, so at sometime in the future, I very well may go with the flow. FaunaClassifieds can be more business oriented, and this site can be more the place for actually discussions to take place.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google