CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Was at Petco and....

Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
Floof
Ooh, okay. Makes much more sense with a pic to go with it. Whiskey's a regular ol' amel who's developing his color pretty well. It looks like he'll have a pretty red/orange background as an adult. I suspect that's what the snake in my second picture is going to look like in a couple of months or so... He's very pretty. =)

By the sounds of it, the Petco amel is in shed. Maybe it's even a late-blooming amel in shed... Complicated, but you never know!

Shame on that store. I think you should complain next time you go in. It sounds like it's definitely way too likely that at least some of those sheds are a month or so old. Poor boas, too... It's bad enough that a place like Petco is selling snakes that will reach 7-10 feet, but then they proceed to mistreat them on top of it all! >=(

Old 08-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #22
1TimeMoM
well the boas. I feel are being mistreated those at the store are acually aggressive and the workers are pobably scared of them... they have like 8/10 boas in a 20/30 gal l tank.. its horribly they had a dead leopard gecko in one of the tanks also.. its like ugh.. makes me wanna buy all the corns and help them lol..

Thanks I think whiskey is gorgeous I knew he was a plain ole amel but im fascinated with his colors... could it maybe be that he has an het that makes him sooo red?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #23
Floof
I don't know of any hets that cause a red hue. Caramel tends to give a yellow wash, bloodred tends to alter the belly checkers, sunkissed alters the pattern and supplies a pissy attitude, and it seems to me like the motley and stripe genes tend to give the snake a precise pattern... All in het form. Those are the only "het markers" I know of, though, and I'm not sure there are any more (except maybe one more for bloodred).

Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #24
Floof
Of course, no het marker is guaranteed. "Het markers" can show up on snakes that aren't het for that gene, and het snakes might not have a marker. For example, not all of my hatchlings have that yellow "wash", but all of them are het for caramel. Their mother almost seems to have a "yellow wash", but she is NOT het caramel.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #25
1TimeMoM
wow.. LoL.. almost sounds confusing I wanna be snake smart like all you guys one day....

Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #26
Floof
Yeah, it is a bit confusing at first. All it takes is some serious reading! Put your nose to the grindstone, read as much as you can here and in any books you can get your hands on, and it'll all become clear to you in time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google